Cleaning soot from walls

Howdy, My living room walls are a deep maroon color (designer name was "burnt cherry"!) The paint, I believe, is a satin type finish. I had candle sconces on the wall, and the candles have left sizeable soot stains on the wall. If I have to repaint ... well let's just say I'd rather NOT repaint! Any suggestions on how to remove the soot without making a big fat mess will be most appreciated.

many thanks, TammyM

Reply to
TammyM

My first try would be with a Mr. Clean Eraser.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I would try using a Swiffer cloth first and then follow-up with the Mr. Clean Eraser.

Reply to
Vox Humana

In alt.home.cleaning on Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:04:28 -0700 "TammyM" posted:

There's soot and there's soot I guess, but when the oil furnace left soot, near the furnace vents mostly but also where the two x fours are in the ceiling, and especially where the nails are, I was told to get an emulsifier, from a janitorial supply company. They only sell gallons but it was under 10 dollars iirc. I mixed it as directed and sprayed it on one area and it didn't do much. But I'm going to mix it stronger or use it straight, when I have time. Earlier if you ask me.

There might be more than one emulsifier, but I said what I wanted it for and they had no doubt what product would be best. The name is downstairs if you want it.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman