cleaning set in stains toilet

Hi, I've been cleaning an elderly womans apartment and having problems with removing set in black stains right at the rim of her toilet. I guess it was black mold I used bleach to clean the whole toilet and got most off but notice just under the rim you can see the remains of the stain that looked like it set in. What should I use to completely remove this as the stain is above the water line and also wondering what exactly causing this. TIA
ms. tonya wrote:

You could try a toilet cleaner that includes a limescale remover leave it on as long as possible then have a go with a stiff brush.
"ms. tonya" wrote:

Black mold grows in damp cellulose, such as wood, leaves, paper, or cotton. As Mrs. Bonk says, it sounds like a chemical deposit.

You can also try a product called "The Works", available from hardware stores. It has an acid content so wear rubber gloves and be careful of your eyes. It comes with a little flip-up nozzle which gets the liquid under the rim. You can usually see the stains fade. Leave it on for a few minutes then scrub with a toilet brush. I've used it to remove the minerals we have in our water. Good luck.
Dora
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:10:07 -0400, Tonya snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ms. tonya) wrote:

Could be mineral buildup from the water. Bail out some of the water and use CLR or Lime-Away with a brush. A more natural method is to use vinegar, although a bit less effective.