cleaning needles

Page 1 of 2

My sewing needles bind in fabric because they have rust spots. I am told I can remove the rust. How?
You've got to be joking. Buy yourself some new needles.

I bought a package saying "assorted needles". They aren't rusty, but they're all the same size and too small to jam a thread in.
Bonnie wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:27:12 -0400, Choreboy

traces by sewing a thick paper towel.
Dawn wrote:

How can I remember not to drink it?
Kerosene removes light rust well. Keep a large piece of "sidewalk" chalk in your sewing box to help prevent rust, and store your sewing box in a warmer location than the surrounding area. It might be better to toss the rusty needles unless you've had a titanus shot within the past 5 years.
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:27:12 -0400, Choreboy

I followed Dawn's advice and ruined my needles and my pan.
Phisherman wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:14:26 -0400, Choreboy

oops!

My fault. I should have put up a troll alert.
--
Barbecue Bob Serving family-style roast bunny
at fine restaurants

riddance to it.
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:56:48 +0100, "Sweep"

tank. the water was green/dirty so i put this sodium percarbonate/sodium carbonate mix into the pan with hot water to disinfect. then i found some cups and spoons stained so i put them in. next day the pan was black in places the cups rested on. the pan has to be wire wooled every use its aluminium and it would take forever with black stains so i dumped it.
Sweep wrote:

You use your STEW pan to aid in cleaning a fish tank ! Sweep, I am horrified at you. To waste your pan because you are too lazy to give it a thorough cleaning is disgusting. If I could I would be at your house with my trusty Brillo and clean it up then pass it on to a charity shop for the needy. All very well dumping the pan in summer but I think you'll regret your actions when winter comes around again and your mind turns to scrag and dumplings but you find nothing to cook it in.

how?
Sweep wrote:

The rust spots on my needles were too small to notice. Now they're completely corroded.
I used only a little water to make the tea strong. When it boiled I put a bag in and turned the burner down. When I checked in five minutes, somebody had turned the burner to high. The pan's coating had blistered.
Choreboy wrote:

Cheap needles will always be found out in the end. Dawn did you a big favour. They would never have been any good.

Cheap pans! I wonder who that "someone" could be? You can't blame Gary this time!

Does he have an alibi?
--
Barbecue Bob Serving family-style roast bunny
at fine restaurants
Mrs Bonk wrote:

Well Mrs. B. I am quite frankly under the impression that this "Choreboy" is putting us on...
One can only imagine if this were the days of crank gramaphones when one had to change gramaphone needles continually - she would be in a constant state of eroded needle uproar!
--
Best
Greg

I clean needles with the little emery bag attached to the tomato pin cushion.
It's super fine sand and cleans off the yukkies.
Joan