Cleaning Le Creuset from 'carbonizing??????

Hi there, I have a inherited a set of Le Creuset pans, and frying pan. The problem is there is a black substance on the outside of the pans. Like burnt on soot.

Le Cresuet have said to use meat tenderizer to get it off. Not sure where to get this from.

Has anyone got any other ideas????

I have soaked them for ages but it doesnt soften. Looking at one someone has either chipped or attempted to scrape it off, and damaged the outside.

Thanks George

Reply to
Wee Peem

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 03:22:31a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Wee Peem?

Oven Cleaner

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Any risk of damage??

Reply to
Wee Peem

None that I've experienced.

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 04:39:10a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Wee Peem?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

You can buy meat tenderizer in the spice isle of the supermarket. One brand name is "Adolph's."

I agree that oven clean is a good choice but you have to be sure that there aren't any chips in the porcelain that leave exposed cast iron surfaces. There are a couple of alternatives to oven cleaner. One is to put a little ammonia in the pan and put it in a large plastic bag (like a tent) to fume overnight. Another, and probably better choice, is to use "Dawn Power Dissolver" which can be found in the supermarket along with the dish detergent. It is a product by Proctor and Gamble that is nearly as good as oven clean but not as corrosive. You can get it on your hands without a problem. The next choice would be to get a carbon remover from a restaurant supply. If you have a Gordon Food Service/GFS Marketplace store in your area, they carry it. The next choice would be to scrub it with Barkeeper's friend which is a product sold along with cleansers like Comet and Ajax in the supermarket.

Reply to
Vox Humana

during Xmas shopping stopped to look at LeCrueset cookware.....its really expensive stuff. Mentioned to the clerk about a pot I had that got a chip and she said I could return it and they will give you a new one ...there is a lifetime warranty. Alas, my daughter had thrown it out.....all I have left is the lid.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin