cleaning hairbrushes

Does anyone know how to get rid of the fuzz and hair that accumulates behind the ball of the ball tipped hairbrushes?

Use an old toothbrush. Wet the hairbrush first.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

Course-toothed comb. I wash my brushes (boar hair and synthetic) with shampoo.

Combs won't work well with "ball-tipped" brushes.

i dropped one in the washing machine accidentally one time & didn't realise until it had been through a cycle. it was really clean afterwards!! kylie
--
www.rdj.com.au

I have had no problem with baking soda. Its very effective. Just let it soak. ..Mindy
It's not the brush really , more that the hair and fuzz get wrapped around the bristel and because it has a rubber ball tip you can't get the hair of fuzz off the bristel. I have to try and get a scisser tip under to cut it but that ends up being a real pain.

Have you tried soap, water, and an old toothbrush? I never have myself, but I'm thinking that, if you soap up the brush, then use the toothbrush to sort of "scrub" down between the rows of bristles, it might work.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

I know exactly what you're talking about. I think, given that these are sold at dollar stores, when the fuzz accumulates, you might just as well toss and buy another. Perhaps there's some happy medium between scalp-scaring straight bristle brushes that can be cleaned easily, and the ball-tipped ones that are fuzz-traps.
Go to Sally Beauty supply and buy a brush cleaner brush. It has a brush on one end and a wide tooth comb at the other. Also, you can wash most brushes in the washing machine. The best way to prevent that from happening is to get in the habit of pulling the hair out of a brush every time you use it. I am a hair stylist and this is the only way I can make sure I can keep a brush clean enough to pass health dept regs. and I hate it when I get addicted to a certain brush and it is no longer made!
Suzi

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:26:58 -0500, "The Data Rat"

Note: the OP requested info specifically about brushes with sort of plastic ball tips on the 'bristles' and further, about the accumulation of fuzz that can't easily combed, brushed, or scrubbed off, without using slender nail-scissors to clip each fuzz 'collar' on each individual 'bristle.' I don't think it's possible, 'though I've never sent hairbrushes through my washing machine. I'd rather spend another $1 then risk plastic shreads in my washer.
remove X> wrote:

As I said, the brush cleaner will remove the accumulated hair that balls up and the base of the bristle and that includes ball tip brushes. If I only paid $1.00 for a brush, I wouldn't bother cleaning it either. But when you pay $20.-30.00 for a brush and you really like it, you do what you have to do. A well made brush will not fall apart in the washer or anything else for that matter.