cleaning enamel skillet

Over the years I've allowed layers of burnt on whatever accumulate. I now want to get rid of it. I soaked it in dishwater for 24 hours and used a lot of elbow grease and a dish brush to get rid of a lot of it, but I can't get down to the enamel. Is there something else I can soak it in -- other recommendations? Steel wool would mess up the enamel, no?
TIA,
I accumulated over the years a layer of burnt on whatever that I want to get rid of. A 24 hr soak in dishwater, a lot of elbow grease and a dish brush got rid of a lot of it but I can't get down to the enamel. Is there something else I can try? Steel wool would mess up the enamel, no?
TIA

Soak the skillet overnight in a solution of baking soda. The next day heat it to a boil and allow it to cool. If it does not clean up easily, then take the skillet outdoors and use oven cleaner on it. Be very careful about protecting your skin and lungs. Lye dissolves burned debris (and human flesh) very well. Rinse with cool water before taking it back indoors, then wash as usual. Forget the steel wool.

get
I put non-reactive cookware in a garbage bag, spray it with oven cleaner (only the heavy duty stuff in the yellow can is any good), and close the bag. I let it sit over night and then rinse and wash it.
Thanks to you and Vox. I'm going to try yours first, if only becase I'm starting to drift towards the Greenie side of the political spectrum. But when you say "solution of baking soda", you mean for a cup of water there should be X amount of baking soda. What's X? As you can see I'm a newbie at this stuff.
wrote:

get
Put a half inch of water in the skillet and sprinkle enough baking soda over it such that some settles to the bottom. To answer your question, X is about a tablespoon of baking soda. For scrubbing you don't want to use anything that will scratch the finish.

lot
get
Use oven cleaner.