Cleaning an (outdoor) patio canopy

Hi--- My umbrella canopy above our outdoor table has many years of black spots, probably mold. The winter weather does not seem to kill this stuff off. Is there any way to remove this stuff without ruining the fabric on our crank-up umbrella? Thanks allot-- Best--- Ron

Reply to
Ron G

This mixture does not include household bleach which may weaken fabric or fade colors.

Dissolve in a garden sprayer

1 gallon hot water 1/2 c. powder laundry detergent (Tide is excellent) 1/2 c. Borax 1/4 c. non-chlorine bleach (Clorox II or OxyClean)
Reply to
Phisherman

Our crank-up umbrella got a lot of algae, dirt, and mildew stains on it a few years ago (long story, don't ask!). I couldn't remove the stains with detergent and scrubbing. I ended up using Clorox and TSP - a rather large amount of Clorox at that. I tested a small area and found the fabric to be colorfast even with chlorine bleach. I had to saturate the fabric, scrub, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I rinsed. I treated a small section at a time. You might test you umbrella to see if you can use chlorine bleach. In my case, it wasn't going to be usable anyway, so I figured it wasn't a risk. I think my umbrellas is canvas and the stripes are actually painted on rather than died. You can dilute the bleach and apply it to an inconspicuous area with a Q-tip to test.

Reply to
Vox Humana

There are lots of cleaners for outdoor canvas.

Cleancanvas.com in New Haven offers a cleaning service. Businesses and homeowners ship canvas to them for hand cleaning. They also sell cleaning chemical and offer free advice.

Nowadays a lot of outdoor canvas is acrylic. It's pretty colorfast and durable, but harsh cleaning may damage the water repellent and the polyester stitching. If the repellent isn't replaced, the canvas will get dirty sooner and be harder to clean.

Wash>

Reply to
Choreboy

Hi Ron

Often the black spots are tree sap and you know what from aerial bombers. Unless the black is streaked from being folded up.

We have several items made from various materials, a covered swing, a patio cover, and grill covers besides the umbrella.

We use a few simple steps in cleaning these items every spring and they always look great afterwards.

First, we take commercial grade Windex and add 1 cup of Ammonia and spray down everything until its saturated and let sit for at least an hour before hosing it off, trying to keep it wet with the cleaner for that full hour before rinsing.

Second, after it dries somewhat we wet everything again with Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2. This removes mold stains very well, especially from the folds and pleats. It's fairly cheap and works great. Sometimes before rinsing, especially things like grill covers or vinyl coated items we will scrub them lightly with Soilax or TSP before hosing everything down with clean water and allowing to dry.

Third, after everything is completely dry, we treat it with a waterproofer usually designed for the purpose. Such as Cameo Tent & Awning waterproofing. Sometimes we just use Scotchgard for Outdoor Patio Furniture, a spray. Of the aerosols we have used, the best by far was Drifab, an Amway product. But still aerosols are not as good as the liquid Tent & Awning waterproofers we have used.

As an aside: If you have some lawn seating that tends to hold moisture and not dry as it should. If you spray these seats or seat backs down with a dilute solution of liquid dishwashing detergent and let dry, then wipe the detergent off the surface with a damp rag, they will be more apt to shed their water and not remain damp.

TTUL Gary

"R>Hi---

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

There is no such product. There is an institutional bottle containing Windex concentrate. It makes Windex when diluted with nine parts water.

Dishwashing detergent is a wetting agent. It kills bugs by preventing them from shedding water.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

BBQ-BOOB Bastes the Boards Again!

S.C. Johnson manufactures Windex ORIGINAL. It comes in aerosols, spray bottles, (squarish) gallons and as a concentrate. The (squarish) gallon jugs are marked Institutional SIZE (NOT Insitutional GRADE).

However, Johnson Diversey also manufactures Windex, but in higher commercial strengths. Windex Commercial Grade (1 gallon white CYLINDER) Windex Powerized Formula (1 gallon white squarish and cylinder, plus a 5 gallon bag in box dispenser).

At one time, Sam's wholesale sold the Windex Commercial Grade mfg. by Johnson Diversey, but have switched to the Windex Original mfg. by S.C. Johnson, quite some time ago.

There is no comparison between the cleaning power of the two manufacturers products. Windex Original is like water compared to Windex Commercial or the Windex Powerized Formula.

I know, we've been stuck with Windex Original a few times in the past and it just don't do the job we need it to do.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Is that you, Ranger?

As of 2003 it was Drackett Division of S C Johnson. They've changed the name a little.

According to Johnson Diversey's website it' all Windex Powerized Formula. Like other Windex, it's about 95% water. What you call Commercial Grade is the concentrate.

Powerized Formula is also sold for household use. As of two years ago, Original Windex contained isopropyl while Powerized Windex contained ammonia. This new stuff contains both, but it no longer contains

2butoxethanol.

Quite some time ago? Johnson Diversey didn't exist until 37 months ago. It didn't take over Drackett's Windex until November of 2002.

Unless FH or Marcey has contacted you about a rendezvous at Sam's Club, your trolling isn't doing the job you need it to do.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Say what? I've never used anything except my real name in the newsgroups.

Yep!

Yep on the WATER. NOPE on the Concentrate. I do see where the Commercial Grade has been discontinued, probably since they came out with the Powerized Formula, looks like the same stuff to me.

I only buy the stuff in gallons, so don't know if they are packaging it in smaller containers or not and don't care.

I didn't care what was in it, as long as it worked for the purpose we were using it for.

Correct, but if I said Drackett's Windex it would have been more confusing.

I wasn't trolling for anything, just stating the facts.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

But you ridicule me and my fine restaurant chain by altering my name.

Can you show documentation that Johnson Diversey ever made anything called Windex Commercial Grade?

You urge our fine readers to buy your favorite product but don't care to find out what it's called or how it's sold?

Facts? You don't care what's in it, what the product name is, or what size container we should look for, and you deliberately told us the wrong manufacturer.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

in article d8eohd$ snipped-for-privacy@dispatch.concentric.net, Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. at snipped-for-privacy@slacc.com.nospam wrote on 6/11/05 9:21 AM:

Whink! At Sam's Club.

Reply to
FH

Barbecue Bob whined at Gary through message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp-radius.supernews.com...

Bubba Booby, Bubba-booby, Bubba...

I see you're poaching the corporate koi again while enjoying the after-affects of licking cockroach rears you catch when they scamper across your food. Throw it back. Koi are supposed to eat from your hand.

ObBBQBoob: "Stupid is as stupid does."

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

If the Shoe Fits!

Why would I have to, I never made such a statement!

We used Windex Commercial Grade for about 4 years and that was at least 6 or more years ago. I don't remember WHO made it, other than it was Windex Commercial Grade and it worked. I would venture to guess it was probably Drackett since they were the only other manufacturer of products under the Windex name.

I wouldn't say it was my FAVORITE product, but of what is easily available to consumers, I was pointing out that Windex ORIGINAL is NOT the same Windex we used that worked.

No I did NOT, Johnson Diversey is who makes the Windex that WORKS! S. C. Johnson is who makes the Windex Original.

Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Did I misunderstand what you posted Thursday?

"However, Johnson Diversey also manufactures Windex, but in higher commercial strengths. Windex Commercial Grade (1 gallon white CYLINDER) Windex Powerized Formula (1 gallon white squarish and cylinder, plus a 5 gallon bag in box dispenser)."

"At one time, Sam's wholesale sold the Windex Commercial Grade mfg. by Johnson Diversey, but have switched to the Windex Original mfg. by S.C. Johnson, quite some time ago."

Could it have been Ranger posting in your name?

Dracket invented Windex. S C Johnson bought them up... was it about

1990? S C Johnson began using their own name for Windex in consumer bottles.

What's the difference in the formulas?

Here's how I was answered Saturday in a message purportedly from you:

***>Quite some time ago? Johnson Diversey didn't exist until 37 months ago.

***Correct, but if I said Drackett's Windex it would have been more confusing.

Was that Ranger, posting in your name again?

Johnson Diversey is a new division of S C Johnson. Don't you think it all comes from the same plant?

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Hi BBQ Boob

Pasternacks order manual read:

128 Oz Commercial Line, Blue Windex Refill, Model # 12207, Mfr SC Johnson Wax. (Their listing is innundated with ERRORS as you can see.) The model number given is for the Powerized Formula, which is not made by SC Johnson Wax at all.

I found the below chemical breakdown at a website that was listing the ingredients in several good window cleaners. Windex blue is the Powerized Formula! You might note that Windex Original is not even listed, it's not considered a 'good' window cleaner.

Windex blue:

2-butoxyethanol (0-2%) - dissolution promoter isopropyl alcohol (0-3%) - alcohol ammonia - emulsifier water

Windex commercial:

2-butoxyethanol (0.5-1.5%) - dissolution promoter ethylene glycol hexyl ether (0.5-1.5%) - solvent isopropyl alcohol (1-5%) - alcohol ammonia - emulsifier water

Windex with vinegar:

2-butoxyethanol (5-10%) - dissolution promoter acetic acid (0-0.25%) - descaler, ammonia - emulsifier water

Ace Hardware Stores advertize the Windex ORIGINAL as being The Commercial Line in fraudulent hopes to sell this water as window cleaner.

And here is the Commercial Grade Windex:

  • Drackett 90940 Windex Commercial Grade Glass Cleaner * Streak Free Shine, 1 Gallon * No Phosphates; Ammonia-D * Weight 9.18 pounds * SKU# DRA90940

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Letsplay! I wondered where you went.

Reply to
Sweep

Yes. "Commercial LIne". Error.

Who calls it Windex Commercial? According to the NIH, that's the formula for Windex Original, submitted in 1996 and verified in 2003.

It's not surprising. Johnson Diversey's website provides one Windex MSDS that covers a lot of product numbers.

I'll bet they got that from reading ahc. See the confusion your trolling has caused?

Who calls it Commercial Grade Windex? According to Johnson Diversey,

90940 has the same formula as 126011004, 3694044, 3694052, 90122, 90135, and 90139.
Reply to
Barbecue Bob