Cleaning an iron with material stuck to it

I'm afraid my iron is ruined. I had it too hot when I started to press some silky fabric, and the fabric literally stuck to the iron, making a big hole in the fabric. Is there anything I can use to remove the material, or is it impossible without ruining the iron?
Diane M
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_cleaning_tips_hints/article/0,1801,HGTV_3111_1383282,00.html
All kinds of nifty tips at this site.
DebH
DebH wrote:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_cleaning_tips_hints/article/0,1801,HGTV_3111_1383282,00.html
remove fabric that is ironed on....and that's the info I need. Maybe it can't be done.
Diane M

3282,00.html
Hi Diane,
If the fabric is ironed on then it must have melted onto the iron through heat. Simply heat the iron again and wipe the are with a damp cloth as it gets hotter, the material should re-melt and come away. This is obviously likely to ruin the cloth so don't use a good cloth (or to that matter the hem of a Versace dress).
Hope this helps. -- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web