Cleaning air conditioner?

Besides routinely changing my filters, should I use my garden hose to spray through the a/c that extends through my window from the outside. Someone suggested I do this at the end of the season to flush out pollen, feathers, leaves etc.., but I fear rust :) How should one clean an a/c?
Also why does more air seem to flow from the right vents of my Friedrich a/c and not the left?
Thank you wise friends :)
Lisa
On 09 Jun 2004 14:08:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Zucca4) wrote:

It is good to keep your A/C clean. Using a garden hose is fine, but make sure water does not find its way in to your home and make a mess. If you run the A/C for a couple hours after cleaning, it will help dry it. I clean my A/C towers a few times each year, sometimes with a garden hose, other times with an air gun hooked up to a compressor.
I have heard from a friend that the way to really clean out a window air conditioner is to take it to a do-it-yourself car wash place. THe force of the water really does a good job of cleaning out all the much that gets inside those things.
Good luck! Shelley

spray
feathers,
a/c