Cleaning a rubber tub mat

I have one of those rubber bathtub safety mats - the kind with the suction cups - and the bottom is always covered with black mold. I will probably buy a new one today, but how can I clean these? I've tried:

Bleach Peroxide Lysol Various Shower / Tub & Tile Cleaners Vinegar Commercial Disinfectants

but none of them remove the mold entirely, and it always comes back within the week. I've tried soaking and scrubbing, but it doesn't all come off. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

-Adam S.

Reply to
swordams

Don't leave it in the tub after you shower. Pull it up and drape it on the side of your tub, suction cups up. The mold won't grow.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I second that. The mold returns because, if left lying in the bottom of the shower, it never dries underneath. Lift yours up a few hours after a shower and it is probably still damp underneath. Letting it dry completely is the *only* way to keep the mold from coming back.

Reply to
nobody

Bleach will kill the mold, but the mold will return. The mat MUST be removed from the tub and turned upside down after every use. A dry mat will not grow mold/mildew. There are mats that are mildew/mold resistant, but even these will need to be dried out after use. Be careful with rubber mats and where you put them--these contain sulphur compounds that can react with plastics, vinyl, and other materials.

Reply to
Phisherman

I THROW MINE RIGHT IN THE WASHING MACHINE. COMES OUT NICE & CLEAN. WILLIE

Reply to
willie

I have scrubbed mine using a toothbrush or kidney shaped floorbrush and a bleach solution to get under those suction cups, then VOWED to always hang it to dry.

I have a tension rod over the tub which is handy also for hanging any damp towels, drip dry clothing etc.

Reply to
gwehrenb