Chewing gum in car seat belt

Don't ask. :-) It somehow got into the retracting part up by the car roof and is stuck to the belt in three places. We've got kleenex wrapped around the belt where the gum is stuck.
Anybody got a good method for removing the gum? The seat belt is made of the standard material used for seat belts.
Cindi

Hi Cindi,
Try White Spirit.
Just apply the spirit using a spoon or dropper and work it in with the wrong end of a spoon. You'll find that the reagent will start to melt the gum and you can add some more spirit to melt it further.
Use a lint free cloth to wipe it away and leave to dry.
Hope this helps
-- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Cindi - As Dr Clean suggests the white spirit (paint thinner) should work. Lighter fluid or odorless kerosene will dissolve the gum. Freeze with a ice cube and scrape off what you can before using a toothbrush and solvent. Goof-Off is a good product too ... http://www.goof-off.com /
I bought a quart of paint thinner and it did the job. Had to put lots of old towels on the car seat where I did the cleaning and there's no trace of gum anymore. Some of the gum actually pulled away from the belt when I used ice cubes to freeze it. Good suggestion, Phish. Paint thinner sure stinks and the smell is now in the car. But I know it will soon go away and I won't get a headache when driving. :-) The weather has been nice and we've left the car windows open all day and night. No critters have gone into the car either! It would have been nice to remove the seat belt for cleaning but I have no clue how that's done and hubby was not too happy with me that I got gum on his seat belt. :-( Thanks for the help guys! Cindi
Phisherman wrote:

eucalyptus oil if you can get it. marvellous stuff for stickies. kylie -- www.rdj.com.au

-- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web