chem-dry vs. steam cleaners

anyone out there have first hand experience with the chem-dry system? They are running specials in my area same or less then the steam cleaners - ~$150/800sqft. Their systems would seem to do better since they use a buffer like machine with brushes that agitate the carpet and they use less water which means not as much left behind, supposedly. anyway, would like to hear from you if you have used this method and how clean it really got your carpet.

thx! TLF

Reply to
TLF

Worked great in my office where we were dealing with just "general dirt", but no nasty stains due to spills. Dried faster, much less smell.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I had the "Dry" system used on part of my carpeting. I wasn't impressed. I think that the Rug Doctor that I rented did a better job.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Wasn't even remotely as thorough as a steam cleaner with built-in scrubber brushes, like Rug Doctor, etc.. Tried it once. Great waste of money.

Reply to
Walter R.

When this outfit started about 10yrs ago it was great but something changed. My guess is that the original chem was outlawed and they had to resort to the run-of-the-mill stuff available. I stopped using them too.

Reply to
C & M

Hi TLF

My mother used them one time just before a party to do her whole house because of a discount coupon. All of her light blue carpets turned grayish. And she could still vacuum up a lot of dirt after they finished. She called her regular carpet shampooer and they got more than normal the amount of dirt and residue out of her carpets.

The insurance adjuster from the Chem-Dry company tried telling her the carpets were their natural aged color and did not follow up on the claim.

I don't know for sure if it was Chem-Dry that my aunt used, but it was a steamless, shampooless carpet cleaning company that she used too and all of her carpets with a dark red in them turned dark pink.

However, Chem-Dry is no longer using the same chemicals they once used, I think they were banned and they switched to something else.

Nonetheless, nobody I know ever used them again.

TTUL Gary

TLF wrote:

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Because of the quick recovery, I've tried to give X-dry methods the benefit of the doubt. When it comes to issues like thoroughness, re-soiling and so forth, there are very few success stories.

A decade back, I was able to buy a small (10 gallon) one-piece professional carpet extractor--a Power Eagle 1016. It was a demonstrator with five jets and a horizontal, rotary brush. This is one of the best investments I've ever made. I now have a 20-foot "hide-a-hose", a wand for stairs and a wand for upholstery and drapes. I can clean the cloth upholstery in my old truck, and it looks as good as new!

Warning: once you've had the opportunity to use professional equipment, you're spoiled. The Rug Doctor-type equipment will seem like a horrible, weak and exasperating device.

Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball