Cast Iron Skillets

Just what is the proper way of cleaning a cast iron skillet? I've heard to merely wipe it clean and allow the oil build-up but then, I've also hear to clean it in light soapy water, rinse, whip, and set it on a hot burner just long enough to evaporate all the moisture that may be left in the pores of the metal.

Using very hot water and a scrubber (I use a plastic bristle brush) scrub out the pan and it usually gets the crusty stuff. If that doesn't get all of it, put in some kosher salt and scrub with that (using a paper towel) until clean.
Heat the pan gently to drive water out of the pores and then, carefully, so as not to burn yourself, wipe a bit of peanut oil, or whatever fat you are using to season the pan with, over the surfaces of the pan. All of them. Let cool, and store.
At the bottom of this page is a section on "caring for your cast iron"
http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp
--
Rick R
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.default

When new iron cookware must be seasoned. Once that is done, food won't stick and you can wash it in sudsy water, rinse, dry on the stovetop, and coat lightly with shortening. It may rust if you don't dry it quickly.
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 04:07:56 GMT, "John Gregory"

Hi John,
If it must be washed, as when you cook spaghetti in it or some other sticky thing, then do use soapy water and after you've put it on the hot burner and it's dry, oil it and wipe out the excess. Otherwise, if it can just be wiped out, if you've fried something in it or made cornbread, etc., do that. Never, ever put one in a dishwasher.
Hope that helps. -- Piper
What's the big deal about these things anyway? I know they disburse heat more evenly and I can understand that benefit, but I can't understand what damage a good cleaning will do; the stuff is cast iron for cryin' out loud! So what if it gets scour with steel wool, rinsed, and heated on the stove to dry (that does make since ... otherwise it will surely rust in the pores). But to let the thing accumulate a coating of grease as I've heard told by some over the years... my god, it's not mad cow we should fear. It's eggs and beacon from a cast iron skillet!

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:20:16 GMT, "John Gregory"

LOL! -- Piper