Candle wax off brass

Good morning,

What's good to use to remove candle wax from brass and other metal surfaces.

Thanks

' where the wind don't blow so strange Maybe on some high cold mountain chain Hunter/Garcia

Reply to
RUKind

If it's a small item popping it in the freezer until it's hard then picking it off works well or for larger things, playing a hair dryer over the wax until it melts then mopping it up may work.

Reply to
Dawn

Scrape it off with a plastic credit card. Buff with a clean cotton terry cloth. That will remove most of it. If you want it entirely removed, use a chemical (petroleum-based) product such as kerosene. A thorough cleaning will cause the metal to oxidize, however.

Reply to
Phisherman

I always used hot running water to get it off our heirloom menorah..works great.

Reply to
Elana Kehoe

That would work, but catch the water to keep all wax out of your drain. You could flush your hot water tank and use that hot water.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hot water is generally recommended. If the wax is soft, a cloth will wipe away the last traces. I doubt hot running water would work in my house because it's not very hot. I'd have to heat the water in a pan.

Some say hot water is risky if brass is lacquered. In that case, a hair dryer will soften the wax.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

Even a fingernail may scratch the lacquer on brass. Cloth will work if the brass has been heated with water or air.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

It just Dawned on me. You're Mr Bentos! Who else would recommend mopping up wax? WBMrB!

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

Yes, when working with an alloy like brass, one must take care not to put a clog in the zinc.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

What utter balderdash. Please stop posting your foolish theories to this newsgroup. It's childish and extremely unfunny. I am considering forwarding the contents of your message as an abuse report to your ISP. I will certainly be monitoring your future posts.

Good Day.

Reply to
Dawn

ha ha you have a soh