burn marks in hard wood floor

We have new hard wood floors; and an electrical christmas decoration shorted and blew up in my kitchen leaving several quarter inch circular burn marks in my beautiful floor. Does anyone know how to discuise them or something. thanks in advance

You could sand the black looking part away and fill them in with wood putty, but if I were you, I'd contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend.
Good luck.
-- Happy New Year! Piper

shorted
If it is real wood it can be sanded and refinished. You might want to consult a hardwood floor company.

A burn is a chemical change. If you sand the burn marks out, then the finish will be removed in that area--not good. You might try carefully scraping the burn marks out with a pen knife being careful to minimize the amount of scraping, then touching up these areas with polyurethane. After a week, wax and buff. Another option is to replace the boards or tiles. You may want to hire a professional woodworker.
my refrigerator sprung a leak which did not show up for weeks on end. 1st indication was warped floor boards which were 4 feet away (water travels ya know) Anyway had homeowners insurance company come out & they recommended a professional wood refinishing company. The floor refinishers say there is no way to just do a small area.....they had to sand and refinish the entire kitchen and dinnette area.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Muvin Gruvin) wrote:

It isn't that bad, it ran me like $1.65/sqft for a sand and polyurethane job.
There is a European company which makes the best floor sanders, and they do a great job, and collect almost all the dust. Got everything done in a couple of days, one to strip, and a couple for finish coats. Floors look great.
Burn marks can be deep, you may have to sand an awful lot off to remove it.

depends on where they are and if you can make a feature from them. I have parquet flooring and about two inches by a doorpost I have a black area where wood has been burnt and a repair attempted unsuccessfully, the wood can take no more sanding in that area. I cut from an old curtain some brown leaves and some acorns and a brown flower and made a small picture to cover the mark, I glued it and varnished it. It looked good and I made another to go by the other doorpost. If I'd had enough material I would have made more leaves to go alongside the curtain like a trail of brown ivy. It's been down for a few years now and still looks good. They sell similar items in the DIY shops. Depends really as to where the burns lie for this method of disguise.