Bleach Tablets

So rather than lug a bottle of bleach back from the shops I bought bleach tablets. The ingredients are amongst other things Sodium dishloisocyanurate Adipic anhydride The first I can find no record of but maybe it's spelt wrong They appear to be very toxic and can be harmful to the environment and musn't be mixed with acid. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of this bleach? Any tips on using it? Mrs Bonk

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I would recommend, as with any product, that you use in accordance with the directions on the package.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I'm afraid it's not too clear. It says the tablets _must_ be diluted in at least 1 litre of water but for general cleaning use 10 litres. I'm not sure if I can make up a certain amount in a bottle and keep it in the cupboard or if it will degrade once made up. Google suggests it could be Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

All chlorine bleach is potentially harmful to the environment and should not be mixed with any other cleaning solutions, in case there is a reaction that emits poisonous chlorine gas. If you buy a bottle you would see the same warning.

I assume that one of those ingredients is an element to make the cake stay together and the other is the active chlorine ingredient. You should be able to mix it and keep it as other bleaches but all chemicals will have a shelf life.

Reply to
DrClean

The tablets are more expensive than regular bleach so I'm not sure why you want to use the tablets for general cleaning. The selling point of the tablets is that they can be added with the soap instead of letting the washer run for 5 or 6 minutes into the cycle before adding regular bleach. A bleach in water solution loses its effectiveness within 24 hours anyway.

Reply to
Scout Lady

The tablets were very cheap, 15 for 99p. Carrying the bleach plus other bits and bobs up the steep hills to home is hard work in this hot weather and I'm not getting any younger!

I did see that tablets can be added to the wash whole. If I dilute them I can add to the bleach dispensing compartment at the beginning of the wash, so in my machine that is not a problem. How much of the liquid bleach to add is. 1 tablet to be diluted to a litre, would that mean I add a litre of the dilute bleach to the wash? That seems an awful lot unless it's very weak when that dilute.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I would look on the package for a telephone number. Here in the US, major companies have toll-free numbers to can call to get product information. I would be very difficult to give advice about a product one has never seen.

Reply to
Vox Humana

They're good for laundry because you get a consistent dose, won't spill, and can add them at the start. They're good for sanitizing because the pH is much lower than with liquid bleach, which means the bleaching action is faster. The lower pH probably means it won't last long on the shelf once mixed.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

You bake cakes with bleach? Where did you find the recipe? I wonder what Barbecue Bob would say.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

Hi Mrs Bonk

You can get Sodium Hypochlorite in 15% concentration at most swimming pool supply houses. One gallon will make three gallons of standard chlorine bleach or if you want it thinned further as some issues of Clorox at 3% you can end up with 5 gallons.

I have tried several of the granulated and powdered chlorines for laundry use, but they don't seem to be quite as effective at cleaning, but more than suitable for disinfecting and sterilizing.

You can also make your own chlorine bleach if you feel like setting up the equipment to do so. Hazardous but CHEAP to make!

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

"adding at the start" You are the second to mention this. Are you saying liquid bleach can't be " added at the start" in your machines?

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Thank you Gary but I think I'll give that a miss

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Sorry, I never even thought of that.

I use a 10% solution to clean my countertops but I use liquid bleach. I'm not sure how much water you would have to dissolve one of those tablets in to get a 10% solution. BTW, you got a good deal, those tablets go for $3.89 at the grocery store I shop at.

Reply to
Scout Lady

Sure you can add it but..........bleach can interfere with effectiveness of the soap used. If you don't have a built in bleach dispenser you are suppose to let the clothes wash for 5 to 7 minutes and then add diluted bleach.

Reply to
Scout Lady

I know the feeling, it's baking today. Have you considered a shopping trolley?

Reply to
Dawn