bleach question

Perhaps this is a chemistry question and perhaps it's a general household stuff question, but here goes. When I have a washing machine full of hot water and white clothes (and detergent), and I dump in a bit of bleach, I see the water instantly turn red-brown, then *just as quickly* go clear again and stay clear. What the heck is that about? If the bleach upon hitting the water formed red-brown stuff, why didn't the water STAY that color?

powder. The heat of the wash increases the speed of the reaction of the bleach and so it clearly reacts and then oxydises fairly quickly.
Try it with a different washing powder and at different temperatures to see what it might be.
Hope this helps. -- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web