Black Stove cleaning tips?

My husband and I purposely opted against any stainless appliances fearing they would be terrible to clean, however the black stove/oven has not proved to be much easier.
Any tips to getting the stove clean? I've tried everything and there are still spots and patches...
Thanks, lisa
On 01 Jun 2004 18:52:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Zucca4) wrote:

Most appliances will provide an owner's manual which includes cleaning instructions. Follow them carefully. Abrasive cleaners may scratch finishes and/or remove dial markings. I use a damp cloth (with an optional drop of dishwashing liquid for those few messy cooking sessions.)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Zucca4) wrote in

If the surfaces you're trying to clean are porcelain enamel, you can safely use the cleaners recommended for glass-top stove surfaces. It will remove almost anything.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
any particular products you like?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Zucca4) wrote in m29.aol.com:

The brand I currently have is Cerama Bryte, although I have used others. All the cleaners I've tried have worked well.
Additionally, I have also had very good luck with Bar Keeper's Friend on a very damp cloth It doesn't scratch at all.