Black marker on a wooden table--2nd request

Can anyone here tell me how to remove black permanent-marker marks from a light-colored wooden tabletop? This is a "Sharpie" (brand name) marker; you can get it off your skin by scrubbing with alcohol but I am afraid this would make a worse stain on the table.

Thanx Eva

Reply to
Eva

It all depends on how the table is finished. If it has a polyurethane finish, then you can use alcohol or mineral spirits. If it has a shellac finish, then alcohol will damage it, but shellac is seldom used on furniture these days. If it is a waxed or oiled finish, the marker may have stained the wood, so the solution would be to sand and refinish it. How you approach this depends on how pricey the item is. Many low end pieces are simply a printed paper laminated on chip board and it will be very difficult to remove the stain. It's really up to you to decide if you want to take a chance or get professional help. If it were me and the item was not a high end piece or an antique, I would try some alcohol, mineral spirits, and acetone on an inconspicuous place like the bottom of the table. If the finish is not damaged, I would then use the solvent on the stain.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thank you very much for your response. This is a "butcher block" type work table, but unlike true butcher block it does have some kind of a finish on it. I'll try your suggestions. Eva

Reply to
Eva

Sometimes you can take marks off with PAM. Spray on a small spot of it; wait about 5 seconds and dab off with paper toweling.

Reply to
RC