been lurking- but I need help!!

I am a sometimes working, sometimes SAHM who canNOT get on top of the mess that surrounds me. I can't much of use done when I'm at home with my 4 yr old son, and by the night I am so worn out, cleaning just does not happen. I've tried lecturing myself, and my husband is pretty sarcatic, but it's so far gone- good lord. anyway- just wanting to hang out with some positive energy and hope I'll catch some of it. lissa
lissa wrote:

Perhaps you need a tonic. I don't know your age but imagine you are fairly young and really should be able to manage without becoming exhausted, unless of course you are one of those ~70 year old older mothers that I have read about- then it would be understandable. Have you been tested for iron lately?
lissa wrote:

Try getting your son to help a bit or get him engaged in something he can do by himself. I sit mine down at the table with a comic book, paper and pens, he'll quietly draw for hours whilst I tiy clean etc.
Never mind soon be at school!
Mike

And it would be fine if her husband pitched in, too. She's sometimes working, sometimes at home with a 4-year old? And her husband is sarcastic? It would be good if he could lend a helping hand.
Dora
limey wrote:

IMHO unless the child is exceptionally demanding it's not unreasonable to expect a stay at home parent to maintain a reasonable clean and tidy house.
I had two weeks off last summer hols. to look after my 2 boys (4+7),whilst my wife was at work. I cleaned, cooked, did some gardening and even did some prep work for decorating. I took them out to the park or pool a couple of times each week but my kids largely entertained themselves. Even better if I got rid of one to a freinds hse for a few hrs I could get loads done.
Sure every so often I'd have to admire their handywork (drawing, lego ,craft) sort out their squabbles, fix a drink or snack but that still left me with 2-3hrs a day free to do hse work or rack up a decent BF2 score. At the end of the three weeks I felt quite refreshed, my kids are a lot less hassle than the 70 odd staff I am responsible for in my 9-5 job. The lack of adult company would drive me insane if I was a SAHD but I didn't feel overworked at all.
As I said this is down to the kid(s), mine are no angels but they are certainly better behaved than most.
Mike

Two weeks.
peggo
peggo wrote:

I got the five-year-old next door to mow my lawn by telling him my mower was a helicopter. I got him to vacuum by telling him it was a painting machine. That lie worked because my floors were good and dirty. He gets pretty mad when his father pleads with him to stop cleaning my house and go home for supper.
In two weeks I could think of a lot of effective lies. I'm working on a scheme to talk him into reshingling my roof. Kids are gullible.
Denominator wrote:

My young relations often visit and if I am busy they will help out. They never do the job to my satisfaction and I find it takes more time to clear the mess they make or pick up the broken ornaments which they've attempted to dust. They go berserk with spray polish to which they seem particularly attracted. Therefore, on a fine day, I give them water sprays to do the leaves in the garden and on a rainy day they do colouring on a newspaper covered table.
Mrs Bonk wrote:

Mine are particularly attracted to my aftershave. I tell them it's spy lotion. After they put it on I tell them they're spies and they'd better stay out of sight because if I catch them I'll put them in spy prison. They're really good at staying hidden. Sometimes they wet their pants because they know I'll catch them if they try to use the bathroom.
Denominator wrote:

Poor mites. No doubt they will be scarred for life.
Mrs Bonk wrote:

When they grow up to be celebrities in espionage, they'll thank me for their early training.
peggo wrote:

..or as we say over here ..a fortnight.

... or as they say in france, ... une quinzaine.
0tterbot wrote:

Do we actually have any French subscribers?

peut-tre... but you'd have to ask marcey, as she is in charge of the roster. kylie
0tterbot wrote:

I thought Nan was in charge? Has she been ousted?

well, one thing is for sure - in such a clean group, there will NOT be a round-robin mud-wrestling tournament to decide who runs the roster!
but if there is, count me in <g>. kylie
i am new here, and havent been lurking enuf.
i just use a sponge to clean linolem floor, i think it works just as well, hard on the knees sometimes, cant find my gloves, eeew.
my name, victoria
i will send but i know i must have had a question
lissa wrote:

Two suggestions for you. Visit the newsgroup, alt.recovery.clutter and the website Flylady.net.
I second that on Flylady.net. however, until you can get over there, make sure your sink shines. You might want to get her book...Also, sign up for her yahoo group: Here is the link
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FlyLadyMentors /
Good Luck. If nothing else, you can keep your sink empty & cleaned. Once you start flying, you will find that keeping a clean - decluttered home will be that you are "Finally Loving Yourself"!!