Baking soda: Similar effect in my closet as in my fridge?

Hello,
I recently moved into a new apartment, and the closet in my bedroom wreaks like something horrible. It's definitely not something dead (like a mouse), but more likely some derivative of mold.
While I plan to vacuum the floor and wash the walls of the closet with a bleach solution, will buying a box of baking soda (or two) and leaving it sit in the closet opened have the same smell absorption effect that it has in a refrigerator?
Thanks very much for your time,
Matt
On 11 Nov 2006 17:48:58 -0800, "Matt Brown - identify"

If there is carpeting in the closet, suspect that first. Sprinkle a box of baking soda (or Boraxo) evenly over the carpet and vacuum up after three days. Shampooers with good extraction can help. You could use an ionizer.
another thing that might work is ground coffee- you need to leave it for 24 hours - while it is there crinkle up some newpapers and toss in the closet- re do the papers every day for a week or two-- also keep door open as much as possible to keep air circulating- Matt Brown - identify wrote: