Bagless vacuum cleaners - your opinion requested

Page 1 of 2
Hi y'all
D'ont you find that bagless vacuum cleaners like the "Roadshark" are a pain in the butt?. Twice for a big house the vacuum stops and you need to go outside, take apart the "bagless" mechanism and clean it. You end up so dusty that you need to take a shower afterwards. I long for a bag vacuum.
Don't you find that vacuums aren't built like they were in the good ol' days. Heck my mom's Hoover was solid, metal handle, rugged casing and lasted forever. Today you get bells and whistles, headlights, attachments to lose, microprocessor controlled byt they aren't worth sh*t?
Thanks for your opinions.
-> Hi y'all -> -> D'ont you find that bagless vacuum cleaners like the "Roadshark" are a pain -> in the butt?. Twice for a big house the vacuum stops and you need to go -> outside, take apart the "bagless" mechanism and clean it. You end up so -> dusty that you need to take a shower afterwards. -> I long for a bag vacuum.
I agree. I think I'll go back to bags next time I'm ready to buy a vacuum.
-> Don't you find that vacuums aren't built like they were in the good ol' -> days. Heck my mom's Hoover -> was solid, metal handle, rugged casing and lasted forever. Today you get -> bells and whistles, headlights, attachments to lose, microprocessor -> controlled byt they aren't worth sh*t?
I have no problem with these things.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Last year I was in market for a new vac
Consumer reports had just tested some models and they specifically recommended AGINST most of the bagless models they tested
Their top pick was a bag unit under Kenmore label and made by Panasonic
Ive bought that unit and been very happy with it!
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:25:29 -0400, "Jack Smith"

the butt?. Twice for a big house the vacuum stops and you need to go outside, take apart the "bagless" mechanism and clean it. You end up so dusty that you need to take a shower afterwards.

I like them and I never have to go out and clean it while vacuuming. Maybe you need to vacuum more often to prevent that ? (or buy a vacuum with bigger canister)
Also, I use a can of compressed air to lean out the filter. works good. paying attention to where the wind comes from helps too.

and whistles, headlights, attachments to lose, microprocessor controlled byt they aren't worth sh*t?
yes, I Think they are less durable.

As a vacuum, I love the bagless model I bought. However, we suffer the same problem with having to empty the cannister at least once during and then after a vacuuming session. There are two adults and one cat in a modest sized house and we vacuum weekly. To me, this is unreasonable maintenance. I will never buy another bagless unit.

I'd rather spend the money on bags!

I agree, regardless of whether they are bagless or bag models.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

The rule of thumb that I have seen from the carpet trade organization that that you should vacuum once a week for each person in your home - minimum. With a pet (we have two dogs), that number needs to increased. I replaced all the carpet on our main floor last year with laminate. Now I use a broom or Swiffer daily. I am totally amazed at how much hair, dirt, and dust accumulates in a day. Like you, I was probably vacuuming about once or twice a week when I had carpet. Obviously it wasn't nearly often enough.

I suppose that's true, Vox, but both of us are gone 11-12 hours a day, M- F, which just leaves the shorthaired cat. Vacuuming more than one a week somehow seems unreasonable. <g>
--
Wayne in Phoenix

This sounds about right. I am with 2 persons and 2 dogs and we vacuum about 3 times a week. This is keeping the carpets look pretty good and I do NOT have to empty the canister while vacuuming (I can probably vacuum twice with it.)

and
that
minimum.
replaced
broom
Yes, I think that three times a week is probably about right depending on the particulars.

pain in the butt?. Twice for a big house the vacuum stops and you need to go outside, take apart the "bagless" mechanism and clean it. You end up so dusty that you need to take a shower afterwards.

I don't know the Roadshark. Mine needs emptying on average after about three times, that's for a 3 bedroom semi, carpeted except two rooms and the car and porch. I don't go outside to empty it. The dust balls and dirt are compacted and I put it in a plastic bag then bin the bag, takes a few seconds and I don't get dirty at all. I would never go back to bags.

days. Heck my mom's Hoover

bells and whistles, headlights, attachments to lose, microprocessor controlled byt they aren't worth sh*t?
mostly cheap plastic and they're not going to last forever I agree. It's the washing machine and microwave in my house with lots of buttons and programmes as standard that I don't ever use.
I recently bought one of these:
http://cleanking.com/details.asp?ProdID 61
It is the best working Vacuum Cleaner I have ever seen. I highly recommend it.

pain in the butt?. Twice for a big house the vacuum stops and you need to go outside, take apart the "bagless" mechanism and clean it. You end up so dusty that you need to take a shower afterwards.

days. Heck my mom's Hoover

bells and whistles, headlights, attachments to lose, microprocessor controlled byt they aren't worth sh*t?

I noticed this one at a friends house a while back. What's so special about it ? Is the bag re-usable ? any hepa filtration ?

The bag that you see has another bag (paper) inside so I guess it is reusable. One of the things that I like is being able to remove and wash the exterior bag when it begins to smell too much like my dogs.
I am not 100% sure about the Hepa thing but I think that it does have it.
The reasons that I love it so much have to do with the quality of construction and cleaning. Almost the entire thing is metal and the construction leaves one with the feeling that it will be here long after you are gone.
It's cleaning power is second to none. You can actually see the dirt come up out of the carpet and rush toward the vacuum. I compared it to the Kenmore that Consumer Reports rated so highly and it was like night and day.

go
get

The Road Shark is a recumbent tricycle. It is bagless and you may have heard it sucks, but it's not a vacuum cleaner. If it's a pain in the butt, perhaps the seat has been removed.

Emptying my dust container is so fun and easy that I have never waited until it was even half full.

I lean over a brick wall and tap the filter against the other side.

It will pick up dust better than a tricycle.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

pain in the butt?. Twice for a big house the vacuum stops and you need to go outside, take apart the "bagless" mechanism and clean it. You end up so dusty that you need to take a shower afterwards.

days. Heck my mom's Hoover

bells and whistles, headlights, attachments to lose, microprocessor controlled byt they aren't worth sh*t?

I love my bagless vacumn. I empty the dirt cup about once a week and bang the filter a few times and its good to go. I vacumn everyday so that might be why there is not too much to pick up at any one time. I do agree that the construction is not as sturdy as those in years gone by, but we live in a throw it away and let's just go buy a new one culture.

go
I thought about this too. At one time I thought that the paper-filterless coffee makers were a good idea until I spend a whole lot of time cleaning the permanent filter and decided, "Permanent filters suck - With paper I can just dump it and get another". I kind of have the same feeling towards bagless vacuum cleaners but I don't own one and I'm not in the market. It just *seems* like it'd be a bigger pain to deal with than just take out the bag, throw it away, get a new back, install it, and away you go.
Brad

can
the
I have a gold filter in my coffee maker. I just dump the grounds and give it a quick rinse.

I thought a gold filter would be super until I got one. Not only did I not like having to dump and clean it, but it left much more sediment in the coffee than a good paper filter. We weren't happy with either factor. The model of coffee maker I bought with the gold filter was around $15 more than the same model without. I should have saved the $15 and spent it on paper filters!
--
Wayne in Phoenix

Some people think the sediment adds body and some people don't like it. Some people think that the paper filters remove some aromatic oils and slow the extraction process, allowing bitter compounds to be extracted. In the end, it is all about what you like. There is a difference in the coffee - one you may not like.

Agreed. Guess I'm just a paper guy! <g> I have friends who swear by their gold filter.
--
Wayne in Phoenix