Automatic vacuum

We are looking for an automatic vacuum cleaner. The new version of the Roomba is supposed to be twice as powerful as the first - is it worth twice the cost? Are there any other reasonably priced automatic vacuums out there
What are Roombas like second hand? Anything likely to wear on them that can't be replaced cheaply?
Thanks. GT
Ours died shortly after the warenty expired. Took six calls to reach a human thru their automated customer service. Only to be told that it was now junk, but that they would "exchage" it for only another $100. It did sort of work, but not worth what amounts to $100 a year. (and don't forget that nicad batteries don't last all that long ). It's a toy. It's cute. It's fun. It's a great conversation piece (alright so we need to get a life...). But is still just a toy. I'm waiting for Toyota's sewing mavhine division to copy it and build a good one.
Tom Kluck