Appliance boxes: Do you keep yours?

I've always been the type to throw away any boxes that stuff came in such as microwaves, LCD televisions, etc.

Now I'm thinking that maybe that's a mistake.

Curious what you all do?

Reply to
me

Why would it be a mistake to toss them? Have you ended up needing the box to return something you bought?

I save them for a short time period in case I need to return an item that is defective. Otherwise, I either recycle it, or take out all the staples and let my kids use them to play in until they're too destroyed to be used, then I recycle them :-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I'm thinking abt the times I may have to move cross country.

Wouldn't it be best to pack such appliances in the original boxes so as to prevent damage in moving?

Reply to
me

Same here. I keep them (only if I have room) in case I move. Especially wine glass boxes and delicate item's boxes.

Plus, they make great Christmas boxes for odd-shaped gifts. It gives a laugh when they think they're getting a blender when they're really getting something else. :)

But that depends if you're a pack rat like us or not. ;)

Reply to
jules

How often do you move???

Not necessarily. You can pack items very well in other boxes. But if you're prone to moving frequently or have the storage space to keep them, then I don't see a problem. It's really a matter of personal choice.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

well I'm thinking id only keep the ones for things that would easily get damaged or that was big and bulky like a microwave

I don't know...just brainstorming out loud I guess

Just curious if anyone else keeps the boxes and packing foam.

Reply to
me

Those big chunks of styrofoam always mess me up. I can't get them to fit together right. I like packing with newspaper or rags and towels. I save rags towels and even old blankets for jobs like packing or cleaning up messes. If the job is gross, I can just toss em.

peggo peggo

Reply to
peggo

I don't like them either. I save them in case I need to return something, but that's it. I had to return a microwave once and I never could get it packed back up the same way it came. I just took everything I couldn't fit, in a garbage bag back to the store.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Well that's an idea!

never thought of that

Reply to
me

I used to save ALL boxes in case I needed to return item. Then one day I was out in the garage staring at shelves wasted on boxes for items that had long since been discarded or replaced.

Something snapped, and I found myself piling the boxes out in the yard. I even took a (self-congratulatory) picture!

Some of these small items were 7-8-9 or more years old! WAY out of warranty!

I confess I DO still have some of the biggie boxes that you mention, but one of these days something will snap again.... Anyway, one can usually find them in an alley before trash pickup day.

BTW, when Sears just delivered my new washer, it came in bare naked, no box.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia