Anyone own the Scooba?

I've seen this demo-ed on HSN, but would like some user opinions. How long have you owned it? Can't live without it? My problem is an off white tiled kitchen floor which is in constant need of washing. Seems I can't cook without something gummy showing up the next morning. A regular mop won't dislodge it - have to pry off with fingernail or dull knife.

Thanks.

Reply to
val189

We have a Scooba. My husband won it. We also have an off white tile eat-in kitchen. The Scooba comes with a small bottle of cleaner made by Clorox and you can order a bottle but it's pretty expensive. The alternative is to use white vinegar. I use the vinegar and it cleans my tile just fine. The Scooba washes the tile and then goes over it picking up the water. It runs about 50 minutes total. It does a good job of cleaning.

Reply to
Dottie

Square footage?

The Scooba comes with a small bottle of cleaner made

Do youi need to recharge it between those 50 minute segments? HOw long does it take to get it fully recharged? Is it noisy when working? thanks - I'm quite tempted...

Reply to
val189

On Mar 22, 12:54 am, "val189" wrote:

Hi, we've had the Scooba for about a month and it is fantastic. It's not deep scrubbing, but certainly cleans off day to day dirt and grime. I can get about 3 cleans (a little over two hours) before I plug it back in. It never actually ran out of battery power so you might get a little longer - I stopped because I had finished doing my floor area. The only thing you need to do between the 45-50 min cycles is empty and rinse the tanks, then refill them. It takes about

3 hours to fully charge. Yes, it is noisey when working, but we don't notice it. I normally put it on before going to work when the kids are at school. When I get home, the main area of the house is done. On a weekend, I break the area up into three pieces using the virtual wall (terrific bit of kit also). It also detects stairs etc so no need to waste a virtual wall at the top of stairs. Drawbacks are it can't get into the very edges of the wall (so we do a proper hand mop every month), if you have large particles it can stop and demand you clean it before it continues (we have eucalyptus chip bark in the yard and sometimes you get some dragged in on shoes), and the cleaning solution, Clorox, is not available in Australia (well, I am searching for it or an alternative). We are using Vinegar and water, but the vinegar does leave a distinct smell - nothing bad. I found the clorox gave a slightly better clean and finish than the vinegar (there might be some spirit in Clorox to assist with drying). I understand you can use Mr Clean Multipurpose Blue in the Scooba, so now the challenge is to find where to buy that in Australia. Oh, Scooba does our hardwood floor, and I open up the bathroom door in the hallway, and he wanders in and cleans the white tiled floor there whilst doing the main rooms. He also wanders into the kitchen during his travels. Total area for us is fairly large. The family room is about 7 metres by 5 metres, the kitchen 3 metres by 2.5 metres, and hallway, toilet and bathroom is about total 6 metres by 4 metres in area at a guess. Hope this helps - we also have a Roomba vaccuum cleaner on order.
Reply to
ross.hetherington

Clorox is bleach. You might want to call the manufacturer of Scooba and see if they can tell you what proportion of bleach to use so you could use another brand.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Wikipedia says "scooba juice" is NOT bleach.

Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite. Clorox is a company that manufactures several products. The best known is Clorox brand bleach. Clorox also manufactures some other products which do not contain bleach. If you you a liquid product manufactured by Clorox in your Scooba on a hardwood floor, it is NOT bleach!

Calling Scooba is a good idea. Trying to mix something up yourself without calling is probably not such a good idea. If someone still has the original bottle that came with their Scooba, try reading the label and perhaps posting the ingredients. Then we can put our heads together and come up with a safe, effective, lower priced alternative.

The factory website says non-approved cleaning solutions void the warranty and might damage your floor. The approve Clorox Brand Scooba cleaing solution, or white vinegar

Reply to
lmngroove

Thanks. I should have thought of that (your statement that Clorox is a company that manufactures various products). A call to the Scooba manufacturer/distributor still could be helpful -- they might even know of a way to order the product locally.

Also: Can it be ordered online?

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

My Scooba came with the recommendation to use white vinegar if the Clorox solution was not available. I am fairly sure the solution that came with the Scooba did NOT contain the bleach made by Clorox....it was something else.

Our eat-in kitchen is approximately 188 sq.ft. When I said my Scooba ran about 50 minutes - I was referring to the time it took to use up all the clean water and need to be emptied and refilled ... not to the battery useage.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dottie