Air Fresheners

Hello gang..,

I buy eight of those store bought 99 cent air fresheners about once every two weeks.., you know, the kind that you pull the cover up and sit them somewhere until the wick gets smaller.

I've got five cats and I don't notice any real bad smells (cats are mostly outside).., but I was wondering about a cheaper fix, or even a better way to approach this subject..(when leaving wife left five of her eleven cats).!

MIKE.., in So Cal..!!

Reply to
81mm

cats don't generally smell, so i'm not sure what the problem is in the first place (?) perhaps there isn't one. their litter boxes get smelly & so must be cleaned regularly but 5 cats who are outside a lot should not make any personal smells in the house...? are they toms or something? (in which case they need a spot of surgery, not air freshener, and not only for their smells! ;-).

open a window, that's free!

horrible plastic "air fresheners" just make foul fake smells & give people rhinitis, but as i say, cats really should not create a problem in the first place in smallish quantities, provided they are healthy & their litter box is clean & their food bowls are kept clean (cat food smells awful when left uneaten) & they're not toms spraying all over the shop. if it's that you're worried you're being seen as "that weird man with all the cats" just have a friend round & give you an honest summation. sometimes after a wife goes, the housework suffers, iyswim, so if you are concerned there might be smells, have a sympathetic friend help either to put your mind at ease, or identify if there is a problem & what it is. but you can't go wrong with more fresh air, anyway. we all need to be aware that indoor pollutants can be a real problem (that has nothing to do with smells).

enjoy your cats!! i like cats but my dog disagrees, so no more cats for me for at least 10 years.... (and if you want to ask: does my dog make my room smell? well at the moment, YES!! he needs a bath something chronic. so you see - if he was a cat, he'd smell perfectly nice!! cats are too smart to go rolling in mud and animal poo & such.) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

Those type of air fresheners do not impress me at all. Spring is here in England and my doors can be left open on a decent day. I have some delightful flowers in the garden and their perfume wafts in on the breeze. I can't wait for my honeysuckle to blossom, it smells delightful. Any bad smells are soon dispersed with fresh air in the place. Colder days when I may even need my heating on I rely on the smell of fruit in a bowl, pot pourri on my landing, a dab of my favourite perfume on a handkerchief placed near a warm place so it diffuses but not so much so that it would cause a headache. A decent distinctive smelling bar of soap at the sink. On a rainy day a small window left open where the rain doesn't come in but the freshness and ozone smell does. I like to keep a floral "air freshener" spray by the toilet for inconsiderate guests thereby saving them embarrasment. Strong smells should be avoided in the bedroom.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Thank you lady..!!

Just what anold retired MSgt needed to hear.., and you are so right about those bars of soap, ozone, and the handkerchief thing'y.. (smile).., oh, by the way.. (grin).., be'n an old Army troop, the thing about the bathroom embrrasment..!!?? We used to light a match..!!

Thanks again, MIKE

PS: Only have one male who still leaves calling cards.., but of course knowing cats.., his pee doesn't smell.. (so he tells me)

Reply to
81mm

Hi....1st post here so please be gentle with me.....lol

What would be your best suggestions for a home with smokers (besides quitting). I have tried everything I know and am looking for more/better solutions.

Thanks

Maureeng7

Reply to
maureeng7eh

i'm a smoker (bah) & i smoke outside - works for me :-)

I have tried everything I know and am looking for more/better

failing moving the smoking outdoors or doing more general airing, i have heard that leaving shallow trays of vinegar in the room will absorb the smell. i tried it once years ago (can't remember why - i had had a roomful of partying smokers?) but couldn't decide if it had made any difference or not, because the window was open overnight anyway :-)

i suspect though that if the furniture/carpet/curtains are all full of the smell (not just the air) it probably wouldn't make any noticable difference. however, if you try it and it works, let me know!! (my fil's going to drop off the twig sooner or later, & the house will be frankly unsalable if we cannot do anything about the horrible smell when the time comes!!) dry baking soda on fabrics absorbs smells, so perhaps you need to try both at once or something. (yes, you vacuum up the baking soda off the fabrics the next day ;-) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

Hi Maureen, I'm a former smoker, so maybe I can offer some suggestions. First, if you can, move the smoking outside if you don't plan to quit.

Second, wash your walls with TSP or a similar product. Shampoo your carpet and the upholstery of your furniture. Wash/dryclean your curtains/draperies.

Our home hasn't smelled of smoke for over 4 years :-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Reply to
Phisherman

Hey Nan. I quit January 25th. Do you ever stop wanting one?

All your suggestions are great. One thing no one has mentioned, is incense. I love incense. I burn it for other reasons, but it does cover up any smell you or your cats can make.

peggo

Reply to
peggo

Congratulations!!! Well, I still get an occasional craving, but it's not anywhere close to the cravings I had when I was newly quit!

Incense would be a good idea, too.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I quit about 30+ years ago and remember thinking the same thing for awhile. Now I'll actually leave a restaurant rather than sit near the smoking section. It's not because it makes me want a cigarette. I can't stand the smell of the smoke. Just keep at quitting and one day you won't want them anymore.

Good Luck!

Reply to
bargaindealsman

A fifty-year-old banker lives with his parents across the street. Three years ago he phoned and asked to visit. As soon as he got in, he lit a cigarette and explained that his parents had decided not to let him smoke in their house. I quickly thought of something to show him outside. As we talked outside, he finished his cigarette. The house reeked for days. He hasn't visited me since, and I haven't seen him smoke since.

I wonder why Peggo lets her cats smoke indoors.

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

Sawney Beane