www.jscottsmith.com

Page 1 of 2

J. Scott Smith, inc. is a full-service design visualization firm. We specialize in conceptual images with an emphasis on graphics for the many professions involved in all aspects of architecture and real estate development.
http://www.jscottsmith.com
Scott Smith wrote:

Are you familiar with the term, "spamming."
You should be, as you've just done it.
Notan
Don wrote:

So it's only spam if you don't like its content.
Notan
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:01:02 -0600

So it's only loitering if you don't "care" for the people?

No.

Yep.... and it is on topic as far as the NG is concerned......

I see only one post. Not cross posted. Not in any other groups I read (though that's no guarantee.) Are you familiar with the term "spamming"?
gruhn wrote:

Yea, but in my book it's "unsolicited (e)mail."
I know other are more lenient, but when I find crap in my mailbox, that I didn't ask for, I'm against it.
Notan
Notan wrote:

That should've read "unsolicited advertising."
Notan

Hmmmmm. So, if I said, "For those f you keeping track, I've finally updated my website", and gave the URL, it's be "spam"...?
Also, given the Subject Title, it was obvious that the fellow was providing his URL. You didn't have to read it. And a newsgroup is not like a private email account. You choose to enter a newsgroup; with email, you expect it to be selective, not public. For all we know, the fellow saw the threads dealing with Architectural 3D modeling and figured, hey, what the heck. IOW it might have been perfectly innocent.

Maybe others were interested in seeing what kind of medeling he was doing.
And there is prob. a heck of a lot here that you "didn't ask for".
Not to sound rude, but just asking out of curiosity: what is and is not "crap" - i.e., who has the final authority for defining the term, and upon what basis? also, in a public forum (a virtual coffeehouse so to speak), who has or doesn't have the authority to tell someone else to not speak?
Ironically, you've given the guy even *more* exposure for his website ;)
a nit or two
There's one shot of a big house of which most of the facade is in shadow. Set on a rolling grassy site...
The Photoshopping in the foreground grass is a little too obvious. Not too horrid though.
The edges of the paving, especially near the right nearground aren't quite working. Probably because of sharp edge geometry over photo rather than grass in front of driveway. Client mayn't even notice.
Some good looking work. I like the grass background. I'm one of the people all that flash annoys ;-).
Scott Smith wrote:

Whenever I see posts like this I think of that Seinfeld episode where that guy Jimmy talked about himself in the third person. "Jimmy's had his eye on Elaine." "Jimmy's new in town."
Don't get me started on the royal "we".

Reminds me of Bob Dole.......

He probably was.......but only by the tiniest fraction ;-)

P. Fritz wrote:

###################################################################################################
###################################################################################################
My anti-virus declared almost all the posts in this thread "potentially dangerous" and moved them to quarantine.
Hmmm... I wonder why.

Cerebus had been doin' it fer years.

True.
Hmmmmm........
"The Danish Desgner Per Corel"

Wow. Had no idea my little post would cause this much stir. And for the record, anyone who is perturbed about such posting would probably accomplish more by replying to the poster than preaching to the choir. No emails though - and I would have happily responded. ;o)
For those offended by my posting (once!) here, I apologize. No spam. Just a notice of services that I thought might be appropriate to the audience. If this is not allowed, it would probably be a good idea to post the NG rules. I did search prior to posting and found a number of posts stating that there were no written rules for this group.
Since I'm already posting anyway, hopefully I won't be breaking any rules to answer a few questions. ;o)
Don: As to the cost of the interactive model on the site, it depends how you look at it. In that case the house was already completely modeled, so it would only be an additional $200 or so to create the QTVR. Actually, for that particular job I had created a lot of other graphics, so the QTVR was just thrown in.
Gruhn: That same house you're talking about was shown in shadow because the sun was set up relative to the time and date of the background photo. So that is how the shadows would look at the time the photo was taken. Also, I did renderings all the way around the house, and didn't want to set a new sun position for every shot. As to the PSing. I swear, those lines are not from PS. I wouldn't turn out an image that was obviously cloned or otherwise edited. I created the base image by stitching a half-dozen or so shots together that I took. That is the result. The lines are in the grass. Blame the landscape guy, not me! (If you look, you'll see they even form an arc due to the lens distortions from stitched panoramic images.) All pavement and curbing was hand painted in PS, so I agree that it doesn't look real. I took the photos one afternoon and turned over the image the next day. Didn't have time to model in the road, etc. And, as you eluded, the client was happy, so I was done. No sense working more after the check has been earned. ... FWIW, I'm not keen on super-flashed sites either. But for graphics, I think a flat HTML page doesn't quite do justice. I was hoping to strike a tolerable compromise.
Don: Glad you liked the skies. A couple are purchased, but most are photos I have taken, or created from photos I have taken.
RicodJour: "We" is used because I don't do all of this work myself. Also, "they" said that "we" should be used for business purposes even when referring to one person. I'm more concerned with who "they" are than who "we" is....
Thanks for all the time critiquing my site and post though. Keep it coming! :)
Scott Smith wrote:

Scott Smith wrote:

From the guy who complained (me):
Nope, they're right. The subject and post were pertinent to this particular newsgroup.
Write it off to me having a bad day.
Thanks!
Notan