Wood Siding Profile

I'm looking for a description of 'dutch lap' siding. I've found a description on line that specifies dutch lap as laying up shingles or slates lapping those below and also those to one side, but not a description of a profile. Locally, Charleston SC, 'German siding' and 'novelty siding' are used for coved siding. Does anyone know what profile might be indicated by 'dutch lap'?

tbasc

It looks like thicker clapboard with a beveled or coved upper section. This is wood and the more traditional profile:

is vinyl, but it's the more common profile nowadays:

RicodJour

Thanks, Rico. I would guess that 'Dutch' in this case is similar to Pennsylvania 'Dutch'. Thanks again. T

Reply to
tbasc

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Similar to "Wales" - it's a derivative of an English word tht had a negative connotation, tho' Iv eforgotten what that original meaning was - anyhoo, the "Welsh" word for "Wales" is, IIRC, "Cwmry", pron. (again, IIRC) something like "Koomrih" or "Koomree".

I don't know the origin of the name "German/Germany", but maybe it's derived from some Roman word? I ought to check.

Word origins are IMO interesting ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger