Why Buildings Design Firms FAIL to Optimize Their Design?!

Hi everyone,

It is not clear why buildings design firms don't optimize their design, especially when it comes to high-rise buildings?! Isn't 10% or more saving in cost appealing enough to do so? Or the problem is something else?

I tried to do online search on such firms that use optimization to minimize weight or cost but came-up empty-handed! Of course, only academic papers are plenty on that subject but non of them worth even the reading!

Anyone out there came to same conclusion?

Regards, John

Reply to
Mike

10% less concrete used for construction, 10% or more less profit for the company.

A.L.

Reply to
A.L.

Hence my previous Steady State Economics thread (alt.architecture), where you may find cod.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Dear sir/madam

We are a service providers for HVAC, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, FIRE- FIGHTING PIPING etc..

We do designing and development for all the above services, not an execution part at this time.

So we look for any OUTSOURCING jobs from any of the related clients and the customers.

If you have any contacts or any links or if u share me the orders for my concern, i think that it

is my pleasure to co-operate and satisfy the customers and the clients.

So i think that it is suitable for my request and it is our duty to serve for your concern. And sure that i am waiting for your positive reply from your side. If you satisfy about my reply means shall i send my company profile and same as from you side also.

And also we have our associate contractors and suppliers and dealers

Thanking you in anticipation,

regards

SANJAY C

(sc-online) 091-080-9900153155

Reply to
Sanjay

I am exclusively referring here to the use of "MATHEMATICAL OPTIMIZATION" when a high-rise building is designed. Any structural engineering or building design company is doing so? I am NOT referring here to generic optimization at all.

Usually, at least in academic papers, mathematical optimization is used to minimize weight while satisfying all design constraints imposed by codes and other considerations.

Reply to
Mike

I am exclusively referring here to the use of "MATHEMATICAL OPTIMIZATION" when a high-rise building is designed. Any structural engineering or building design company is doing so? I am NOT referring here to generic optimization at all.

Usually, at least in academic papers, mathematical optimization is used to minimize weight while satisfying all design constraints imposed by codes and other considerations.

Reply to
Mike

Ford Escort is a good car [img]

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.op-research,sci.engr.civil,alt.architecture - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
batateam

No. But then, I didn't even start with the same assumptions so there's no surprise there.

Reply to
gruhn

What, has more numbers? Fewer numbers? I tell my students that they can find the second reaction by doing another moment equation if they want, but it's easier (optimal) to do it with sum of the forces vertical because there's no multiplying (less (optimal) mathematics).

Mathematical optimizatio... wait, let me put that in the quotes it deserves...

"Mathematical optimization" of ... what? Of what?! Oh, back to the first post. Right there, it says "design."

I don't believe you because you didn't say so at first and I'm tired of letting people come up with interesting new stories after the fact.

What on earth do you mean "generic optimization"? I'm hoping English is not your first language, then we could cut you some slack and try to figure out what you are trying to mean.

If you mean ONLY mathematical optimization [sic] and not generic optimization [sic] what on earth are you doing asking the question about design firms? There's more to design than just settling the one set of criteria perfectly. You might as well be asking "Why don't architects minimize travel distances in buildings? I mean 'travel distance between the tv room and the bathroom.'"

If you don't want answers that include necessary parts of the answer then you don't want the answer.

Because you fail to understand the question. Because you don't know what building design entails and you don't know what optimized design is.

Reply to
gruhn

Reply to
larry

So are you Mike or John? Looks like you need optimization-- which some in this thread seem to be attempting. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

he sed 9r33n phad.......

Reply to
creative1986

Pat> wrote: The building was designed with 6" walls. =A0That created a

I hope he left your office with thousands of your bootprints all over his ass.

No, it wasn't a huge problem for him. It was an opportunity for him to whine. Unless you are building a skyscraper or using extreme design procedures there is no significant difference between 6 & 8 inch walls. Time to start asking some associates for recomendations on engineers. Never hurts to shop around alittle just to see what the market is offering, especially in these times when nothing is a given.

Reply to
creative1986

Except for *3* instances every building I ever designed was optimally optimized to the clients specifications.

**They too were optimally optimized but the clients were incapable of framing their specifications optimally.
Reply to
creative1986

LOL... I just noticed that Pat asked the same are you Mike or John question earlier in the thread.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Are you, and he, talkin to me?

Reply to
creative1986

Well, after they discovered how to build over 20 stories, they lost interest with anything, with what you might real-world issues, Which is also mostly why the people in cutting-edge engineering work on optcal computers, mircoprocessors, parallel processing, HDTV, all-digital fiber optics, broadband and cellular comms, 3D holographics, GPS, On-Line Banking, On-Line Shopping, On-Line Publishing, Light Sticks, Mini Harddisks, USB, Self-Replicating Machines, Digiital-Terrain- Mapping, Cruise Missiles, and Autonomous Vehicles, rather than anything with high-rise building codes.

Reply to
zzbunker

It also depends upon where the actual cost are. There was once an article (in some now forgotten magazine) which described how some builder sweated the logistics of materials on their building site. The result was that the carpenders worked 6 out of 8 hours rather 2 out of 8 hours because they had the required materials readily available. That sounds like a 200% productivity improvement on a major cost component. I think you are asking about a 10% improvement of a moderate cost component. This included things like making sure the building's elevators worked even as the building was under consruction. As the building grew the elevators followed close behind.

Reply to
Gordon Sande