Werner Ladder

Page 2 of 2

Interestingly, I didn't feel at all threatened, not in the slightest. Maybe it was a mutual curiosity, although I'd worked a bit with eagles after that (while volunteering at a Raptor rescue/rehab place) and didn't find them particularly curious; OTOH, it's not exactly a natural setting. Either way, it was almost like an invitation - as though, when i lost my "zen" or whatever, started thinking fearfully, the bird got the notion of "meeting me halfway".
Tangelntailly, I remember going with someone to nab an injured bird in a wooded area (this was while I lived in British COlumbia, immediately south of Vancouver, BC), and ther eweer a number of Bald Eagles in the trees. THey eyeballed us, but didn't seem particularly afraid. More wisely-cautious than afraid (which makes sense - I'm cautious of poeple, too).
Mysterious creatures. I have no patience whatsoever for those people who claim that "animals are merely biological robots"; they of course aren't "people with fur or feathers", but they do have their own thought processes, just not *verbal* thought processes - which makes sense to me, since I tend to think visually (and then "translate" it all into language to relay it to other people). ANYHOO, to this day, I can only specualte why the bird would have flow *towards* me, because form a sceintific/biological viewpoint, it made no sense whatsoever. Which give it an almost "mystical" sort of quality. But in any event, it was very cool :)

Oh yeah, I guess not - I forget sometimes.

I liked taking as many classes as possible - they were practical in that they did help me to do my job better (which of course made my fellow burocrats mostly just resent me evne more <LOL!>), and seeing different places was a perq. I didn't like staying in hotels; I much preferred staying on bases. In part, there were more places towalk aroud on bases, and differnt things to see - hotels are not usually in "walkable" areas. I also just preferred the atmosphere. I also preferred working with military personnel - even tho' most of my coworkers were civilians, I found the military people to be more focused and disciplined, more interested in working rather than hanging around gossipping and back- biting. Not that they were all sweetness and lihgt, jsut that I preferred their no-nonsense attitude. So I always felt more comfortable on bases, than in hotels. IT was also usually quieter on base. I also liked the morning and evening Flag ceremonies.

THat sounds a bit bizarre - damage to what...?

Hear ya "5X5" on that one!! ;)
snipped-for-privacy@dowmuff.in says...

Heh. Imagine a meadow or field. Now imagine 60-some-odd tons of M1 Abrams tank cutting across it at 40 mph. Now make that a platoon instead of a single tank *and* cut across that meadow several times in the course of an exercise.
Better than plowing ... :-)
--
Charles Jones [ snipped-for-privacy@frii.com ]
Loveland, Colorado, USA

I just didn't know to what Don was referring, specifically - IOW, whetehr to structures, landscape, farms, roads, and/or Other.

wrote in

One has to be careful to never take *any* hype at face value. That's wht nobody ever wants to teach to young people - it'd make them too hard to control. If I could, tho', I'd tell tehm all precsiely that, Never trust *any* hype at face value - not from *any* source - ALWAYS do research, look into it, and make decisions with open eyes and a clear, analytical mind. Corporations, agencies, volunteer organizations, gurus, "movements", and so on - they *all* make the same appeals, "Come be a art of our team and let us hel you grow as an individual". Oh sounds, great - give of yourself freely to a Greater Cause. But there are very clever people who help the Head Honhos craft those appeals, and warmfuzzytouchyfeelie idealism leads, 99.9% of the time, *at best* to disappointments. Realistic investigation and decision-making has gtreater chances of helping one achieve Happiness, by helping one avoid being taken advantage of/duped.

Yeah, it's never as Disneyesque as it's presented.

Hmmm, now that's problematic - I'd imagine it's a bit like letting your dog let you know it's peed on the carpet...

Yowza! 50' is significant - and that's just the flames, from what yu said - the actual hazard zone would be much larger.

Well, I think there are good reasons to have a military, but I also think people need to be a lot mroe realistic about the whole thing...beyond that, it's a complex topic...