Werner Ladder

Page 1 of 2
Well, I hope teh folks who'd mentioned Werner Ladders here some months back were/are right re: their quality - I just ordered a Werner 26-Foot 300- Pound-capacity Multi-Ladder - it's an extension ladder to 23' but also can fold into half or quarters and used as a step ladder.
Jeez but I love Amazon.com <LOL!>

I went with the 300 mostly because I like to have a wide margin of safety. Anything I'd do these days is minor, but I always like having a bit of extra capability just in case.

Seriously. I won't (can't these days) be hauling anything near that heavy, but I will be using some tools and whatnot, so what the heck, esp. since the one I got was on sale and iirc, less than the smaller ones.

I hadn't thought of that yet, tho' for now, just lay it down in the garage - OTOH, it'd be simple enough to put up a modest rack, or some heavy-duty hooks/hangers.

If I put it up there, I'd need another ladder just to reach it. ANd I doubt my shoulder would stand up to me try. Not to mention problems with body mechanics - I can't lift much over my head. So once it arrives and I have a good sense of the weight, I'll look for some hangers I can screw into the garage-wall studs.

Yeah, not everyone can - I don't have anything on the walls yet (OK, to be honest, everythign is at this point just dumped in there...), si it would work for me ;)

NONONO!!! <L!> I have 3, just none that are both tall enough and steady enough to let me mess with getting a 66-lb thing up that high. The thing also folds up, which reduces it's use of storage space: http://tinyurl.com/3u9fj4
I rented for so long that I previously didn't need anything this large.
;)

Oh lord, now you're getting way too complex - and I have too many projects in the planning or unfinished stages as is <L!>
And I might end up needing to rig (or build) a Glass workbench topped with this stuff: http://www.homasote.com/result.asp It's great for cutting really small glass shapes.
Might need to get or rig up a fume hood (solder contains lead).
So I won't be rigging up any block'n'tackle setups anytime soon ;)

THat prob makes a difference - we''ve only got one really wide door. Quite a span...

Yikes. My projects are all *much* smaller ;) Too bad here isn't a "shrink/unshrink" machine that could shrink stuff for storage, btu unshrink it to be worked on <L!>

That's what I might have thought just hearing about it, btu my instructor has it on top of her benchtops, and it actually works quite well. One piece I cut was a half-circle with about a 1/3" dimeter, so that clinched it for me ;) THe texture supports the glass well emough without being hard (which ironicall makes cutting a bit weasier), plus i thas some "bite" so it helps hold those little bits.

That's not a major facor with the glass cutting - since you're actually scoring and breaking rather than cutting per se, nothing slices into the surface (since scores are supposed to stop just a hair shor of the edge anyway, so as to not wreck your glass cutter and also to not chip the glass). Smaller pieces of Homasote are great for layout, I've recently learned in this class, because you can just cram push-pins into it top hold everything in place. The last time I did stained glass, I used particle board and nails to hold everything. But that was using the lead pieces ("came" - dunno why it's called that, but it is), and overall the thing was heavy, so the particle board was a stronger support. WHat I'm learnign now is Copper Foil, which is what's used on Tiffany lamps and copies thereof, and it's quite different, lighter for one thing, so th elighter board works better than one might think, without seeing it in action so to speak.
Those self-healing things are great for using an Exacto knife, tho', so they're good for paper-art projects. I have one that's about 2'X3' for that sort of thing (tho' it's been a long time since I've done any).

I got green because that's all I saw. But it works well, gives a contrast without bothering my eyes ;)

I haven't tried any of those yet. Heh, maybe I should try to make it in stained glass! HA, talk abut grandoise fantasizing ;) I keep thinking about getting the Clock.

Leaves? huh, I never heard of doing that. Or thought of it.

THat interesting - sort of a history, too, of your place. You can look at the parts and remember what was going on, what you all were doing, when you collected the material. Kind of cool, IMO. Very personal. It's nice to see a place that has personal art, as opposed to looking around and sayuing , Oh, I saw that at Pier One, or Oh, I saw that at Wall-Mart...

I got a book some time back about how to do decorative concrete (let me know if you're interested int he title and author; it's not up here and I'd have ot look for it). ANyhoo, one photo showed a wall-type thing with bottles embedded in it so that the neck and bottom were in the concrete (as opposed to sticking out of it).
Now, if th ebottles stuck out, I don't know whether wind would "whislte" when blowing past them. But there are all sorts of ways you could cut them (or not) and embed them in concrete forms - make an arched thing in the shape of a Gothic window, but it'd be more like a wall, with the bottles s the glass parts, for example, Or, cut off the bottoms and just use the round parts.

TO be honest, I mostly tend to watch TV when my neurohormones go out of whack (as they're wont to do) and go into a depression :p . Otherwise, I'm too busy doing other stuff to bother with it. Well, tho' I do watch while I eat. And I do try to watch enough of the news to get some idea of what's going on, but the Net is prob just as good or better, really. But most of the stuff that's on is just IMO crap. Most of it is one or another way to show people being catty, petty, nasty, negatively competitive, backbiting, baiting, and so on - Yeesh...that stuff is like poison - IMO of course ;)

I'm very sure that the bottles have to remain closed in order to sound. I'm also not sure whether youd need to use what's called a Fipple, so as to get the airflow right. I'd been wondering whether setting the bottoms into a concrete column, in a sort of "tree" arrangement, so that the wind would blow across th eopenings, would make any sound - I did see some info on Aeolian Organs (using bamboo pipes and PVC pipes, but no specifics) but no specifics at all, so I don't know.
I've been checking all over the Net for how to build a bottle aeolian organ, but can't find any specifics - all I saw was a fea pics.
But you might be able to also use bottles as the sounding bodies for Aeolian Harps. OTOH, I dunno whether they'd work right if embedde din concrete. I'm having great difficulty finding the info I'd need to answer that.

Two books I think might be useful: "Musical Instrument Design: Practical INformation for INstruemnt Making" by Bart Hopkin - *not* a physics tome - it has some theory but is focused on practicalities/"how-to"s. "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden: Making Pots, Planters, Birdbaths, Sculpture & More" by Sherri Warner Hunter - *NOT* a construction book!, it's focused on making artsy-fartsy garden things (sculptures, birdbaths, stepping-stones, etc.) up to about the size of garden furniture - lots of receipes for various applications, and illustrations of techniques for making various types of projects - including the "wine bottle wall" I'dmentioned previously ;)

I don;y have the info. I'd have to do a prelim experiment - attach one to something, try it at various angles both with and without fipple, and so on.
But it'd be interesting if it *could* work.
meanwhile, I know that aeolian harps work, and I did see pics of a "wind organ" sort of thing, using hollow bamboo or PVC pipes - OTOH, the MP3s I heard didn't sound all that pleasant, so I'm not sure I'd personally get too involved with a bottle version...

Well, to make an aeolian harp, you *can* just have it bare so to speak, but it's mroe efficient (from what I've read at least) to make a sort of box with a wide opening, and a small exit, and place the string(s) near the exit - you can attatch a vane on top to keep it turned into the wind (and oviously, lighter materials would work better if you want it to pivot around).
Personally, I prefer tuned wind chimes, esp. bass chimes.
If I was going to design an aeolian harp for myself, I'd want to set it up so that differnt "boxes" faced different directions, so the tone(s) would vary as the wind changed direction. But as above, I'd personally prefer to make chimes, because the OOOooooo sound of wires it OK to me for a while, but not for too long.

I didn't search pics, but there was an amazing number of hits for a non- word...I like the Philip K. Dick version best ;) ((Frozen nipple sounds just too darned *uncomfortable*...))

If you do it an it works, post some pics or somumpthin' ;)

"Stratosquake"...? (Yes, I googled it...)
EDS
"Kris Krieger" < snipped-for-privacy@dowmuff.in> wrote in message
[snipped]

I have to admit,t hat's an experienceI mihgt not mind experiencing once, but would rather not have to live with ;)
Oddly enough, I went outside a little while ago to check the results fo my driveway cleaning, and heard a very odd, deep "whoooooo" sound in the strong winds we're having currently - a house one over from us on the circle has an unusual(i.e., not tremendously popular tho' more so than out design) "portico" (I think hats the term which arched with a strongly circular curve on 2 corners, and the door is "cat-corner" to the portico, and it seemed as tho' the sound was coming from there. Odd and interesting stuff, acoustics ;)

That's one of the Aeolian Harps I've been, er, harping about ;)

Ah, so that's what it was. Very nice.
When we were in the City, we lived 5 blocks from a 55 story building. They put a TV antenna ( about 100') on top nad during windstorms the guy wires howled. Neighbors complained, so they did something to mute the noise.
Maybe Don would like to see more planes, but when the morning rush begins at 6 AM at 90 second intervals for a few hours(depends upon the wind direction) and you cannot speak to anyone outdoors while those guys go over. Same at about 7 PM to get into Europe in the morning. We piss and moan about the noise, but it is very convenient to be 10 minutes from the airport. I can FedEx till 9:50 pm ;-) EDS

Yup, that's the way it is here. The newer jets are better, but when a large military plane comes in, all the dishes rattle. My Town sued the airport, so they now install triple glazed windows on 120 houses each year near the flight paths. Got mine done (32 of them) 6 years ago. And yes, Don, sometimes we can see the people in the plane. EDS
Dear EDS ,
Please send relevant case number and etc. Maybe our neighborhood can get some free glazing on a precedent?
On a noisy flight path from National Airport and they have increased the number of flights in the past decade,
Galina, who can be reached at spasi at the internet service erols dot com and who needs that triple glazing
EDS wrote:

Back in '89, my mother was still living in this house, my wife flew back from Paris, and they came in so close she could clearly see mom on the porch, wife claimed she could read mom's newspaper ;-). This was with a 747. EDS

If you've ever seen wires with balls (usually orange) on them, I *think* that they are put thre to kill teh ersonant nodes, and prevent wind- generated sound.

WHen I lived in Brampton, ON, we were close enough for me to have one day seen the Concord go by - it was the incredibly loud and looked like it was going to fall out of the sky, reminded me of a log, the way it struggled and shouted.
I prefer to not be too near airports - I hate noise in general, and prefer to try to lessen my chances of having a plane impact my roof...
snipped-for-privacy@dowmuff.in says...

Log ... struggled ... shouted?
What kinda logs you got in your parts? Our ain't nearly so ... interactive.
--
Charles Jones [ snipped-for-privacy@frii.com ]
Loveland, Colorado, USA

This book (that I might have I'd mentioned a couple weeks ago, I think) gives good tips and instructions: "Musical Instrument Design: Practical Information for Instrument Making"
If you use the "wind focusing box" idea, you could orient a few different boxes with differently-tuned strings (or sets of harmonizing strings) so that you'd always know by the sound which way the wind was blowing ;)
[snipped]

And yet, spectacular and beautiful. I've always loved planes; weapons platforms engender a strong and somewhat peculiar love-hate feeling. WHen I used to give rpesentations, I always gave subtle the horrific potential, because I truekly loathed and detested the a-holes who went on as to how "sexy" this or that weapons system supposedly was - maybe I'm warped, but I drew (and draw) a definite line between sexy, and that complex love/hate-attraction/repulsion arising from observing a thing (or creature) whose design is so perfectly suited to killing (much like watching a falcon hunting dovekies, or a cheetah running down a young gazelle - one mourns the terror and the death of the prey, yet thrills at the speed, power, and dexterity of the hunter).
Be that as it may, I wish I could fly in one, even as merely a passenger - even if I got sick as a dog, I still really wish that's an experience I could have. Not that that relates to your observation per se - just more of my rambling thoughts, on a bustery, humid, nearly-hot Gulf Coast day ;)

Yup. It was interesting to do TDYs on and near USAF bases.

WHich reminds me - back in early 1991, I was at Kritland AFB - back then, Albequerqie wasn't nearly as built up as it is now, and the area behind the BOQ was open desert all the way to (and up) the Sandia mountains. I went there to study the instruments of mass destruction - the last day I was there, I took my evening walk, skirting the desert as the snad cooled and gave up its scents of sage and earth, and the sky was dappled with clouds, the ones directly above and to the East the most peculiar and distinct shades of lavender and purple I'd ever seen, or have ever seen since. Burrowing owls called, swopping silently, as they hunted on the wing for insects, and in protest of my wandering in the area of their nests. About, oh, 300 yards from the drive, there was a small bare tree (it was March), and I suddenly noticed a great huge bird sitting in it. Entranced, I walked towards it, amid the protests of the burrowing owls, and realized it was a Golden Eagle, which amazed me because they are quite intolerant of humans. I walked closer, and the bird simply watched me. About halfway to the tree, I realized that there could be snakes hiding in the low brush, and I stopped in fear. And then the bird flew - but not away, towards to open land and the hills, but *AT* me! This is somethign that sould not have happened. It flew so close to me that I literally felt the breeze from its wings, and they made a sound like ripping silk as they cut through the air - then it disappeared into all of that purpleness; I tried to follow but it just seemed to vanish amid the scattered cottonwoods - it was almost like a reply to a something I'd written many months prior. In any event, one of my most treasured memories. But part of what I wrote goes:
"Piercing talons, true, our Maker gave me, and true, to live, I too must often kill - but swiftly, surely: as merciful as sharp death can be."
In contrast, humans are all too often most distinclty UN-merciful.
OK, I'll stop my random blither for today ;)