very cool new google feature...MAPS!

http://maps.google.com /
It's justa Beta so there is still some development to do but all you need to do is drag your desired location to the center and zoom in. There are even satellite images available (link is in the upper right hand corner)
Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

Nice site and very quick refresh time. Of course I had to find my own neighborhood first.
: : Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote: : > http://maps.google.com / : > : > It's justa Beta so there is still some development to do but all you : need to : > do is drag your desired location to the center and zoom in. There : are even : > satellite images available (link is in the upper right hand corner) : : : Nice site and very quick refresh time. : Of course I had to find my own neighborhood first.
I don't want to look at my neighborhood first. What's your address? Is that you in the VW convertible? Use sunscreen for god sakes, man.
cat herder wrote:

No, I as in the limo. My address is: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500. Look it up. I'm the one with the big attitude and low IQ.
Yoiks, they need to work on sat-map correlation.
The terra server site has always been easy to use.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com /

Except that TerraServer is slow and the aerial photos are only available in B&W. For topomaps and aerials I've always used topozone.com though I must admit these google maps are nice.

The free version gives you a map that is equal in size to the TerraServer maps, about 600 pixels wide. The annual fee gives you the ability to view 1200 pixels wide maps. I went ahead and paid the annual fee because it was a reimbursable. I go to every initial meeting with prospective clients with printed map in hand... a little ooohh and aaaaah factor...

Mapquest used to have this service for free a couple of years ago.
Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

Yes, and MapQuest used to have TopoZone topographic maps for free, too - until they decided they couldn't figure out what they were for and stopped doing it.
TerraServer took all the USGS DOQQ aerial photos (1-meter resolution) and converted all the color ones into black and white (TopoZone didn't). They're adding the new Urban Area photos in color (as are we). They also compressed everything as JPEGs instead of storing them at full original resolution. As a result, the "same" data on TopoZone is about 5 times larger than Microsft TerraServer.
TopoZone also doesn't do silly things like
http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S &Z&X7&Ys0&W=1
if you're trying to look at a free topo map!
- Ed
Ed McNierney TopoZone.com
Damian wrote:

You go Ed!