urgent ..pls help - construction question

urgent ..pls help -construction question

Background

***************** My friend is buying a home in the SF Bay Area, California. It is a stucco house, I believe. The chimney is brick.

The home has a nice view at the back. The family room is on the first floor and the bedroom upstairs face the back. The bedroom sits on the family room which is below. The family room is larger than the bedroom on top. It has a pointed roof which ruins the view from this bedroom.

  1. However the family room has a big fireplace that faces the back - this ruins the view from that room. Can the the fireplace and chimney be removed ? so a French door can be inserted in that space and the view can be enjoyed ?

  1. Upstairs in the master bedroom ..the view is ruined because of very tiny windows and also - the chimney - the pointed tile roof Can the chimney ( because of the fireplace in the family room below) be removed and the roof flattened so a varandah can be built ?

So there are 2 issues

  1. can we remove the chimney completely
  2. can we flatten the tile roof on top of family room and build varendah on it ?

Is this possible ? and what would be the costs ? any complications ? any issues that I should be aware of ?

I know it is difficult to comment without seeing the home...but if you can pls give us your input it would be very highly appreciated.

Thanks

Linda

Reply to
lindagoldstein100

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

$113,453.62

Hardly ever.

No particular order:

The tumbling dollar, Iran/Iraq situation, Soc.Sec reform, that f****ng' barking dog, Immigration, Scabies, and Nuclear Proliferation among others....to much to list really.

No problem.

Have a good day.

Reply to
Secretia Green

Couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent. Most excellent indeed. (the fee was a little low though)

Reply to
Don

The part about scabies, made me laugh. Thanks Secretia.

The OP should talk to an experienced local architect, designer, or contractor in the building.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

BTW, did I hear right?...we have aircraft carriers and destroyers in the Persian gulf that should not be there unless we were planning a preemptive strike against Iran? I barely caught a bit of NPR on the way home yesterday, and was distracted at the time, but this is the impression I'm left with...

jojo

Reply to
jojo

yes, with a little or a lot, anything is possible. Can you pay a guy a couple of grand on the side and get it done...no

Yes.

yes yes

yes

a lot..is it worth it...how would I know?

your kidding right

your kidding right

Linda, I have no desire (on, just a little desire) to be a smartass. Can you tell me, in general terms, what you do for a living. yes, it matters.

Reply to
jojo

If you're going to control everybody everywhere, this would probably be a good time to do it.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

No...there there to help out with construction in the Bay area...

Reply to
3D Peruna

"jojo"> wrote

Thats the signal I'm getting from all over the place. FWIW: My brother was on a carrier (the Midway) in the Persian Gulf back in the late 70's and you know what was goin on then......nuff sed....

Reply to
Don

That's one way to flatten a roof.

Reply to