True Quality Revival And Ice-Cream [OT]

Page 3 of 3

Warm Worm wrote:

Good post, WW,
Almost everything I don't like about our great American society today has to do with the substitution of situational ethics for real ones, i.e. the denigration of the real deal America with the "only if and when I want to" could be anywhere America.. The real ethics usually have the forbidden word "morals" implicit in them. I wouldn't injest even the one bagga chips.

Maybe you should tell us what your morals are. You have demonstrated none of them here.
George Conklin wrote:

I just downloaded Gary Numan's Cars. Ahh... I just love the soaring synths part that begins a third of the way through. It got me into electronic music composition.

worse
when
the
What does that have to do with morals?

I think I was listening to it while reading your post.

Yeah, we want to know if it was a legal download or not...
Amy Blankenship wrote:

I knew someone who had given me a copy of the song which then got lost. So I chalk my download to 'fair use'.
At the same time, I've recently been discovering and listening to some older electronic music acts that I somehow missed and was only vaguely aware of, such as 'Art of Noise', 'Tangerine Dream' and '808 State'. Since I wouldn't have otherwise purchased their music, I think they're also worth a free listen. :)
The way I see it is that if you're trying to make money on a losing proposition, you're in the wrong business.
...I've heard that there are businesses out there selling (or that have sold) bottled tap water (while other businesses continue to degrade our streams, rivers and lakes... and while bottled-water bottles get tossed into landfills-- and everywhere else.) You can bet that, if my tap-water were to become, say sufficiently dubious, I'll be one of those to pirate the bottled spring-water outfits.
Don wrote:

Good cases aren't built on whether I'd like them or not. IOW, I don't have to like a good case to agree with it.
Don wrote:

I'm talking about having a little inconvenience for the sake of a greater good. Like doing without a little extra warmth in the home and having to work in the living room if it meant greater energy savings.
I'm also not suggesting you trade in your truck just yet either. :)
My favorite ice cream shop in the DC area
http://www.yorkcastleicecream.com /
The Silver Spring, MD shop is located on an old mini strip mall along Georgia. The Beltsville, MD shop is also located along an old commerical building. The main architecture or urban profile might be - inexpensive retail commerical site next to busy U.S. Road. Also both store face the roadside an have a significant roadside signage exposure. There's no place to really eat outside, the side walk space is limited, parking space is pretty meager... but the ice cream is really great. ISTM that major site selection factors were 1) a low cost per square feet of retail space and 2) a signficant amount of roadside traffic by the stores ( which would generate significant store front signage exposure).
One of the most powerful retail tools is commercial signage exposure infront of a business.