tiling a swimming pool which size and colour?

I am building a swimming pool 9.5m x 4.5m with 2 infinity edges with glorious views out over the sea. I want advice for tiling the pool. What sort of size tiles should I use?

4inch or 8inch? Mix of colours or stick with just 1 colour. I have been advised to go with 4inch tiles 'because the pool is too small for 8inch'. I have also been advised to go with 2 different shades or blue and 2 of green giving 4 colours in total. My mock-up doesn't encourage me to follow that advice but of course you can't really see till the water goes in can you? Any advice welcomed.
Reply to
-keevill-

The tile size depends a lot upon the shape of the pool (i.e.: hard to use 8" tiles in a 8' diameter spa). Color(s) is more of a cosmetic consideration and of personal choice (though there are pros/cons and practical considerations). Most pools I do I normally spec Shotcrete (usually white) and only tile the waterline (6" high row of tile). I normally use 2" field tiles and then 6" tiles for accents (and depth & no diving markers). I also normally use 2" accent tiles on the nosing of all steps and benches.

Another consideration is whether it's a commercial or residential application? What's the surrounding "look" like (i.e.: decking - bluestone, flagstone, conc, etc.)

I'd suggest looking at lots of photos to see what's been done that you do and don't like.

HTH,

Michael (LS)

Reply to
Michael (LS)

It's residential for my family and myself. The pool is rectangular with white natural stone coping around the edges. It is high on the moutainside with the non-infinity sides surrounded by sandstone decking about 80 sqm of it. I don't require any accents or lines within the pool, I just want a deep green torquoise effect to meet up with the views over the sea in the background.

I look at the photos but I'm not sure how to get the effect which I see in them.

Reply to
-keevill-

The pool is constructed from concrete so I can't imagine that it would look nice without any tiles.

Reply to
-keevill-

I should have said I am not in the USA. I'm in S.E.Asia. My original question was really related to advice about tiling not this otherwise meritable alternatives which aren't available where I live at least without huge efforts.

Reply to
-keevill-

I'd love to see a finished pool in your recommended style. Any pictures available anywhere?

Reply to
-keevill-