The Roots of "Dwarf Tossing"?

http://tinyurl.com/yuppj6

That is why evolution in the species has for all intents and purposes stopped.
If they're different, they must be either inferior or a threat - what do we do? I know! Let's kill them.

I think you're talking about 'cultural evolution', and that it's an overly-pessimistic view of our fellow chimps. It's important to remember 'human nature', but even in my short time I've seen big cultural changes. E.g.:
I just heard Richard Dawkins being interviewed for the Nth time on his tour to support the sales of his book "The God Delusion". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion Never would have happened when I was a kid.
It's Pride Week in Toronto with the big parade set for Saturday. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_Week_(Toronto) Our politicians HAVE to be there. Never would have happened when I was a kid.
There's still unspeakable barbarity and ignorance out there, http://tinyurl.com/2234rc , http://tinyurl.com/yxfr9g , but I'm fairly sanguine about our progress, if the more clever chimps get to call the tune.

Delusion".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_DelusionNever would have happened when

Saturday.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_Week_(Toronto) Our politicians HAVE to be

Zzzzt! Sorry, wrong category. It's not about cultural change, it's about physical and genetic change.

Even then I'd say you're off the mark. If we don't develop genetic fixes for them, in a millenium we'll all probably suffer form a host of genetic 'deficiencies' that no longer affect viability to any great extent. We're evolving, alright, into nearsight, asthmatic, flatfooted, bucktoothed bermensch! (Cue The Ride of the Valkyries.)
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

You're missing my point, Michael. Evolution does not stay static, which is apparently the intent of humankind. "We're obviously the supreme beings on the planet, how could we possibly be improved upon?" All of the current medical work is being done to preserve the status quo - and eliminate current flaws - without allowing a new species to evolve. A new species is what would evolve naturally. Evolution doesn't happen slowly and inexorably over time. It happens in fits and spurts. When a new little bugger pops out with significant differences, they'll be killed.
I do agree about the species being weakened by medical "advances" and protracted lives.