The raised thingie/cupola/clerestory

I missed that thread until today; apologies if this has been suggested before.
If you can get up there to look out of the windows, the word to use for the OP's feature is, I think, a "belvedere" -- a small look-out tower with a view, on top of a house.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

Sorry -- I responded to Don first. I'd call it a "tower" with "clerestory windows", as I'd reserve the term "clerestory" for the windowed wall rather than the in-the-round structure itself.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
I'm pushing for "Lantern". TB
On 08 Jun 2005, wrote

I knew there was a common word for the non-reachable features that bring light into a lower area; lantern it is.
(That, though, can't be a little room that you can sit in and look out of: since it's not lighting anything other than the room, it wouldn't qualify as a lantern.)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Harvey, I was suggesting your Belvedere for a reachable room and Lantern for what amounts a tall space with clerestory at the top.
It's good to have you around to refer us to useful labels.
TB
On 08 Jun 2005, wrote

Ah; sorry -- I missed that.

I find it enjoyable -- labels aren't everything, but they help... ;)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
On 09 Jun 2005, Don wrote

Post pictures -- we'll want pictures!
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
On 09 Jun 2005, Don wrote

Yup; that too -- we can submit it to the "eyesore of the month" site.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
On 07 Jun 2005, Don wrote

Dunno the technical term, but I'd call that a "tower" with "clerestory windows".
FWIW, I'd personally reserve "clerestory" for the windowed wall(s) of the thing, not the structure itself -- but hey: I'm not a brochure writer, and they do things differently in that world....

He could hoist it on top of his house, and turn it into a look-out. :)