The problem with Space Exploration

Page 2 of 2

WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR!?!?!

The tide chart people would be out of a job. ISTR reading a bit somewhere that the whole "life on earth" thing wouldn't have come off either.

They'll never solve all the problems on earth. Good thing Isabella wasn't on their side.

"Keep hobbling along as best we can until somebody throws enough money at us to do something cool" might be a goal.
gruhn wrote:

Yeah, and the TV phone that we've all been promised for 100 years. It's always fun to see what the futurists predicted for 2000, compared to the way it turned out. We were supposed to have those flying cars and supersonic air travel and all kinds of other wonderful things. The very thing that has probably been the most impacting for the masses (PC's and the Web) wasn't seen coming at all!

Yep.
I guess the fact that we're still just sending stuff up into orbit is good, but it would be nice to see some new/better technology. It's about time.
-- Cliff

I know somebody who has one. But then, she was one of the engineers that designed it.

Crappy lip synching. Artists these days have no integrity. Even Stipe caved.

Well, we got the TV phone.......just a couple years late!
General conclusion- some ideas just don't account for the stubborn limitations of physics and economics and others don't anticipate what's still to be learned bout em.> Moving info ever faster has proven easier than putting commuters in the air!
If theres any space exploration, it will be unmanned vehicles, or more advanced "telescopes" more likely, due to same.

The way a lot fo people drive, do you really *want* commuters in the air...? imagine the carnage, as crashed sircars hurtle earthward, inevitably landing on dwellings and so on...
<shudder!!!>
Personally, I'm irritated that I can't travel to a space station and tour the moon and so on. "2001" was such a huge disappointment - no sffordable space tours, no jobs on the moon, just a lot of paranoia...

Expanded horizons - but no will to go explore them.
Bummer.
- Kris

Oh, yeah, and now, sinus/respiratory sufferers have to go through a lot of rigamarole (and in some states, get prescriptions - don't ask me what people do if they can't afford medical insurance and/or a prescription plan) to be able to breathe.
Like, thanks a lot to the peabrained morons with their bleeping stupid crystal meth, YEESH.

Watch that nauseum, next thing you know, some guano-brained f*** will realize there's some way to make some hallucinogen or whatever from Pepto Bismol. What'll be done about that nauseum *then*...?

Ah, you starry-eyed idealist ;) !

I used to expect that. Got older, downgraded to hoping for it. Got older, downgraded again to wishing for it. Currently, older still, have given up hope. Too many morons in the masses - and most especially, too many *elective* morons, i.e., people who *chose*/*choose* to reject whatever capacity their frontal lobes have in favor of following, stupidly sheep- like, this or that peopson who stand up and hollers as to how he/she is some omniscient authority figure. Life is easier when you can blame your bad choices of someone else (or something else).

...using slide rules and a very few clunkey computers...gee, now just HOW did they keep miles and kilometers apart?...oh that's right, science used to use metric almost exclusively, not like the current "improvements"...

...and hands, and necks, and aching backs...

Find? Make. There is no place, except for the space one shapes by oneself, for oneself.
- Kris

Hopefully in a good space at least ;)

I always liked the story I read a few years back about tourist in Alaska......this couple drives into a gas station somewhere up in the wilderness there.......while the husband is gassing up the land yacht, the wife lets out little Fifee (some sort of rat dog...I forget which breed) to do it's business at the edge of the parking lot. While the couple are standing there, a bald eagle swooped down and took Fifee off for an unexpected lunch date. :-)
The problem with Space Exploration is that on a litre for litre basis, there is so little out there. "Hey, where you been these past fifty years?" "I was exploring space." "Cool, what'd you find?" "Eighteen hydrogen atoms."
"The restless masses; yearning to see what lies beyond the next honking pile of nothing."
gruhn wrote:

It's been right there in front of your nose the whole time. lol.
http://tinyurl.com/dcfuc
Cato wrote:

I had hopes, a few years ago, that it would be here:
http://www.moller.com /
But, they, too, have discovered it's much easier said than done.
3D Peruna wrote:

I've saw a show on Discovery recently with the guy that developed that thing. His design seems to still be struggling with the design a bit, but it's got the "cool" factor down. The one I posted has a much higher success rate, albiet with a much shorter flight time. The downside is the landings are a bitch. ;-)
Adam Weiss wrote:

nanotube cables. If this ever takes off the hardest part about space travel (getting away from earth gravitational pull) would be taken care of. Of course I have no idea how feasable these elevators are. So would it be possible to get to the moon from a space station orbiting the earth?
--
Night_Seer

Don't think I'm not tempted.