The most efficient, cheap and sturdy dome ever... help me find the makers!

I remember seeing a program (I think it was on the discovery channel) a year or two ago about a new type of dome that was invented. It was so simple and cheap which I suspect may be the reason that it is so hard to find on the net. All they used was an air pump, a big balloon, cement, and rebar. As far as I can recall this dome started off with a layer of rebar somewhat laid down across its center (imagine: draw a circle, then put lines across the circumference creating almost a pie chart look- I'm sure there is more to it) and then they add cement to top it off. They let this layer dry thoroughly. They then added a big balloon (I don't recall the material used) across the entire foundation. The next part I am still a bit foggy about, but what they did was laid cement down over top of the balloon (or maybe it was more rebar and cement...) then they quickly topped it off with a layer of cheese cloth. Next they sprayed the cheese cloth with water to keep the cement from cracking as they filled the balloon with air... I recall them saying the pressure used was equivalent to the puff off a cigarette because the balloon covered such a large surface area of the cement. I don't remember exactly how long it took for them to blow it up, but I think it was like, 4-8 hours, maybe 12... then they left it to dry and it was finished within a couple of days. They showed other versions of this with intersecting domes that were massive, some 80+ feet tall... Again my memory is a big blurry over this so I may have left some steps out on building this. Ingenious, super efficient, materials are available almost everywhere and it is extremely cheap, only a couple thousand dollars for materials. If anyone knows the name of the inventor or a website or some way of contacting him I would be very interested if you could help me find out! My em@il is: "ravenise"@"shaw".ca" (no quotes)

Thank you!, take care. Tyler.

Reply to
ravenise

And upside down in earthquake zones so they just rock and roll with shifting earth and if left off-kilter after the earthquake event can have an edge picked up with a light crane and mudjacked back to level.

Then in a hundred years architects will say "hey it looks like a flying saucer with curved foundations and a curved habitat on top. Why don't we put a nano-gravity generator on it and see if it will fly?" But since they are a bunch of stinking licensed facist rats they won't let anybody do this without their permission.

Reply to
clintonG

I saw this exact documentary, but I can't come up with the name of it or the inventor. Sorry bout that. I seem to remember it being different than the shotcrete Don mentioned because it was poured and then blown up, rather than being blown onto a ready mold. I don't seem to recall how they did the rebar it may have been something other than the standard steel stuff.

Reply to
Edgar

Clumping Bamboos

(!)