The Importance of Accessibility Laws

http://halbot.haluze.sk/images/2005-11/1497_blackhumor_Galgen.jpg

Heh... <snicker>

Is there such a thing as an outdoor lift, esp one that uses a transmission mechanism to allow it to be manually operated? I wouldn't knwo how to google that, but I'm wondering.
My cousin's child has mobility problems, so I'm thinking about such things mreo tahn I'd previously done.
om:

I've never seen mechanical only lifts. However, there are "porch lifts" that are either hydraulic or screw driven that can be operated manually in the event of motor or power failure. I see porch lifts on ebay often and reasonably priced. It should also be noted that in most cases ADA requirements (as far as ramp pitch) relate to commercial situations, not residential.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. THe problem with things that aer "power only" so to speak could leave a person stuck in the event of an emergency.

Oh, that's interesting to know ;)

OTOH, the commercial guidelines might also be good to follow in residential situations, because they probably take ease of use into account to some degree - IOW, you *can* put a steeper ramp into a home, but is that really a good idea - that sort of thing.
But that's interesting re: teh mechanical lifts, thanks for the info!