Steel & Stucco

Page 1 of 2

I have just been asked to design a three story apartment building. The construction will be steel frame, steel studs, and stucco. I haven't had to deal with this kind of construction for ten years. I'm searching manufacturer's web sites. The owners are referenceing a recent building with lots of changes in the plane of the facade. Has anyone a suggestion for print or electronic sources of information on detailing?
TB
In a previous post says...

TB:
What kind of detailing? Steel connection details have changed pretty dramatically in the past few years.
As for the facade you might try the Light Gage Steel Engineers Assoc
http://www.lgsea.com /
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Can you give a useful summary, please?
In a previous post gruhn says...

In general, structural steel connections are required to have more ductility than previously. This is particularly true if the connection is part of the lateral force resisting system. The basic concept is "weak beam/strong column". This methodology which makes failure happen (if it happens) in the beams rather than the columns. This requires different welding techniques and procedures to assure the ductility is maintained. You might even see reduced beam sections (RBS) wherein the flanges are cut back at about the L/5 point in order to create a weakened section.
Of course no one wants a building failure, but structural engineers are generally a conservative lot that take the worst case and apply the design methodologies to that scenario. The thinking here is that if the building fails (a big "If"), then we want the failure to be ductile so that the occupants can safely escape.
Does that help?
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

True stucco or EFIS?

Who the hell still uses stucco?
Chris

Thats what I thought......we used it on a project up here a couple of years ago...nut case client wanted a true german chalet.

But with big windows and a cathedral ceiling and cultured stone and a GIANT bathroom with three showers and... ?
In a previous post gruhn says...

Gruhn:
I see you must have been asked to design that "cottage"?
Reminds of the house I worked on that had "his" and Hers" wings. The house was so big that it had two Master Suites that were so far apart that you needed to use a telephone to call from one part of the house to another, intercoms wouldn't do.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

Sounds like someone was a pure genius in that house. I'm guessing the "his".
> "Cato"> wrote >> Bob Morrison wrote: >>> Reminds of the house I worked on that had "his" and Hers" wings. The >>> house was so big that it had two Master Suites that were so far apart >>> that you needed to use a telephone to call from one part of the house >> to another, intercoms wouldn't do. >> >> Sounds like someone was a pure genius in that house. I'm guessing the >> "his". > > heh-heh > > I'm designing more and more homes with dual master bedrooms, though one is > always labeled as a guest bedroom. > I wonder whats going on?
I've done a few.....it's an 'in-law' suite

>> Thats what I thought......we used it on a project up here a couple of > years >> ago...nut case client wanted a true german chalet. > > But with big windows and a cathedral ceiling and cultured stone and a GIANT > bathroom with three showers and... ? > >
Actually no.......hebel block, tilt swing windows, tile roof, the whole works........then she was mad when the bid came in so frikkin high.

I've seen it. "I want this. I want to spend this. Your job is to make it happen." "I'm sorry but the solid gold spigots cost more than your entire budget." "You're the architect, make it happen."

And she had this pansy husband that sat there like a bump on a log.

Calling this one a royal bitch would have been a major understatement.
She wanted to lay the husband right there on your conference table???

I bet the guy's the type of weasel that would have been MORE embarrassed if she HAD laid him on the conference table... let alone lay him OUT...

http://www.connarch.com/miscellaneous/beer.exe

But everyone's "been" there... did you try to sneak off or chew your arm off?