Steel & Stucco

I have just been asked to design a three story apartment building. The construction will be steel frame, steel studs, and stucco. I haven't had to deal with this kind of construction for ten years. I'm searching manufacturer's web sites. The owners are referenceing a recent building with lots of changes in the plane of the facade. Has anyone a suggestion for print or electronic sources of information on detailing?

TB

Reply to
tbasc

TB:

What kind of detailing? Steel connection details have changed pretty dramatically in the past few years.

As for the facade you might try the Light Gage Steel Engineers Assoc

Bob Morrison

True stucco or EFIS?

Reply to
P.Fritz

Can you give a useful summary, please?

Reply to
gruhn

In general, structural steel connections are required to have more ductility than previously. This is particularly true if the connection is part of the lateral force resisting system. The basic concept is "weak beam/strong column". This methodology which makes failure happen (if it happens) in the beams rather than the columns. This requires different welding techniques and procedures to assure the ductility is maintained. You might even see reduced beam sections (RBS) wherein the flanges are cut back at about the L/5 point in order to create a weakened section.

Of course no one wants a building failure, but structural engineers are generally a conservative lot that take the worst case and apply the design methodologies to that scenario. The thinking here is that if the building fails (a big "If"), then we want the failure to be ductile so that the occupants can safely escape.

Does that help?

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Thanks, Everyone!

I'm just a poor architect and will leave structural design and detailing to the engineers. I'm interested in facade detailing for water intrusion movement, and the like. I'm trying to become familiar with some of the techniques and materials now in use

Since everyone is so responsive, the project is a set of six apartments, two to a level above parking. A very inefficient arrangement arrived at by non technical folk and negotiated with local zoning authority. Project is in Charleston South Carolina area with sub tropical climate, hurricanes and earthquakes.

Thanks again to all. TB

Reply to
tbasc

TB:

I know of an engineer in North Carolina who is familiar with steel stud construction. If you are interested in talking to him send me a message directly (off list) and I will send his contact info.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Who the hell still uses stucco?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Gyotar

a steel structural systems is usually beams and columns...where the lateral forces are resisted by moment connections and diagonal bracing...the spans of steel decking is 5' to 15'....beams from 15' to 60' and plate girder 40' to 100'...the steel deck rest on stringer..and stringer on floor beam and floor beam on girder...a rectangular grid in side the building with irregular facada is the main component...where the rectangular grid meets the irregular facada is filled with short beams to form the irregualar shape...all u have to do is set the span of the bays for the rectangular grid...and leaves the rest to the structural engineer and steel detailing guys...

Reply to
freddy osbourne

Thats what I thought......we used it on a project up here a couple of years ago...nut case client wanted a true german chalet.

Reply to
P.Fritz

But with big windows and a cathedral ceiling and cultured stone and a GIANT bathroom with three showers and... ?

Reply to
gruhn

Gruhn:

I see you must have been asked to design that "cottage"?

Reminds of the house I worked on that had "his" and Hers" wings. The house was so big that it had two Master Suites that were so far apart that you needed to use a telephone to call from one part of the house to another, intercoms wouldn't do.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Sounds like someone was a pure genius in that house. I'm guessing the "his".

Reply to
Cato

I've done a few.....it's an 'in-law' suite

Reply to
P. Fritz

Actually no.......hebel block, tilt swing windows, tile roof, the whole works........then she was mad when the bid came in so frikkin high.

Reply to
P. Fritz

This kind of construction is not unreasonable. In some areas light gage construction is being use quite a bit. The basic design is similar to wood stud structure i.e. where you have light gage studs, sill and header tracks, light gage joists that can be used to frame floors and roofs, you can have light gage steel roof trusses, you have light gage beams and lintels. Light gage studs can be used for bearing walls and walls that are not bearing. For floors you can use plywood sheathing attached to the light gage joists and if connected correctly can serve as a diaphragm to resist lateral forces. Similarly you can use plywood on the exterior which can be used as a shear wall also to resist lateral forces. In other areas where shear walls are not needed you can add gypsum sheathing as substrate for the lath and stucco finish. Intermittently you can use structural steel tubes ( HSS tubes ) where special beams and columns are required. For diaphragm and shear wall values for lateral forces you can contact the APA ( American Plywood Association ) where they have been testing plywood shear walls on light gage steel structures.

Foundations are concrete with stem walls around the perimeter that receive the steel stud tracks. You can have slab on grade for the first level or you can provide a crawl space similar to wood construction.

Architecturally, door frames, window frames and architectural detail components are similar to buildings that have different structural systems but the interior walls are light gage studs that have door and window frames. The only thing that will be necessary on the exterior is insulation, flashing and waterproofing. And with stucco don't forget control joints.

I also suggest that a local structural engineer be involved in the project. In as much it is similar to wood construction building departments don't accept them as typical construction and the lateral force system provided is designed correctly.

To find light gage manufacturers all you need to do is go to Google.com and type light gage construction/studs/systems ( or something similar ) and you will get lots of manufacturers of light gage framing members. Catalogs are available.

Hope this helps.

________________________________________________________ Charles I. Dinsmore, PE SE RA ~ chuck snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Chuck

I've seen it. "I want this. I want to spend this. Your job is to make it happen." "I'm sorry but the solid gold spigots cost more than your entire budget." "You're the architect, make it happen."

Reply to
gruhn

And she had this pansy husband that sat there like a bump on a log.

Reply to
P.Fritz

Calling this one a royal bitch would have been a major understatement.

Reply to
P.Fritz