Starchitect

Page 2 of 2

[snipped]

Oh! That's a bit fo a surprise. I guess the refelcted sound waves end up crashing into one another and cancelling out...?

It's cool that you got to expereince those things. Chant...makes one wonder about whether/the degree to which it all (music and the arrangement of interior space) developed in tendem, each influencing the other? Could the space have been influenced at all by a desire to achieve the effect you described...?

kinds of music (particularly classical and jazz and Beatles) but cannot reproduce it. My wife does much better. EDS

The chapel is indeed superb. I've visited churches all over the map and that's one of the top two or three. It has a calm and uplifting atmosphere, perfectly conducive to meditation. Now if you could only get rid of all the other people that interfere with the meditation... ;)
http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/exhibits/saarinen/img/altar.jpg
The Kresge dome is best experienced from on top of it. It's easy to climb and it has a great view.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Kresge_Auditorium%2C_MIT_%28view_with_Green_Building%29.JPGhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Kresge_Auditorium%2C_MIT_%28view_with_Green_Building%29.JPG

Hmmm. I tried to link directly to the large scale picture - seems you can't do that. Here's the original page: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Kresge_Auditorium,_MIT_ (view_with_Green_Building).JPG
I'm posting the large scale again, with a bit of tweaking, as an experiment.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Kresge_Auditorium%2C_MIT_%28view_with_Green_Building%29.JPG
Oops! Almost forgot - Saarinen, Saarinen! Okay, now it's safe.