Starchitect

Page 1 of 2
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/09/AR2008050900228.html
Could you give us some clue about what the article is about before we click click?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I kind of like this fellow - he thinks on quite a grand scale, but has some intereting ideas IMO: http://www.futurebydesign.org/site.html
Kris Krieger wrote:

Before I click on what may be a large file, could you elaborate what these "interesting" (I presume) ideas might be?

(1) Clue = the thread title and the site name. ((It's not like I bombard this NG with unrelated links =:-p ))
(2) Yes, I made a typo, may all the shames of the ages be upon me... =:-p
Click if you're curious; if not, then don't <shrug>

Anal.

Back atcha.
Secretia Green wrote:

lazy to talk about it, then the site isn't worth the trouble or the site is trouble.

The site was nice. ++'s comments were anal. Kris got it, but thought it was directed at him. Then again, maybe it's a conspiracy to get ++ to click the deadly link....
Secretia Green wrote:

Didn't click. No incentive. No discussion. No decription. No click

Right. That fearsome Interweb thingie. Can't be too careful!

At what point do you stop requiring to be spoon fed? You post all sorts of BS that has little or nothing to do with architecture, then when someone - a regular on the newsgroup - posts something that does have something to do with architecture you bitch that he doesn't serve it up in your style?
RicodJour wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't click on unidentified websites for a couple of reasons - image intensive waits and malicious code. A simple descriptionusually suffices to let people know what they are clicking on. A single word would have done this one, the last name of the architect.

The single word Saarinen would preclude lag time and malicious sites? Interesting theory.

Naw, I've never been any good at conspiracy - I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. Like every other human on the face fo the planet, sometimes I might sees 'em a bit crosseyed ;) , but no conspiracies - my mind doesn't function in that way.
At any rate, did you get a chance to read about "Resource-based economy" and "cities that think"? IMO, it's food for thought, tho' I'm not so sure about the practicality of *all* of it.

chapel at MIT is excellent, but the domed auditorium adjacent has had acoustical and roofing problems and since it opened. While you can hardly hear the person on the stage, a whisper on one side of the audience can be heard on the other side. EDS

THt must be a real distraction - were people at that time unable to plan or was it a case of skimming over practicalities for teh sake of design...?

It was, and the idea that we can fix any thing with engineering. Spoke to a professional classical singer years ago who would not sing there after one time. Told me that he could not make his voice "work" with the acoustics. Yes we did know acoustical design since the 19th century. A good example is Boston's Symphony Hall, where the hall acts as a huge instrument itself. (once had the luck to sit in the middle of the main floor during Beethoven's 9th, I remember the hair on my arms rising and vibrating). There were theory's in the 50's and 60's that all that acoustical stuff could be bounced around and directed by floating "cloud" panels. MIT's auditorium and the Lincoln Center Halls were designed as Architect's wet dreams and the acoustical engineers were supposed to fix it with hanging "clouds". Lincoln Center's Philharmonic Hall was definitely very bad. Some time in the late 70's Philharmonic Hall's guts were torn out, and the interior rebuilt with proportions and sound reflection times based on Symphony and Carnage Halls (They are basically acoustical twins, designed by the same acoustical engineer). The resulting Avery Fisher Hall was a great success, and the acoustical control methods are now universally used. There was a great article in The New Yorker magazine at the time the explained in clear terms what was done. I learned more from that article than from any classroom. What is clear is that if you are going to manipulate the sound waves of a space with an audience, it must have certain solid shapes and any reflective elements must be very solid and cannot vibrate. Other elements that may become a part of the giant instrument you are building can vibrate, e.g. the floor of Symphony Hall is sloped, but removable, and it responds to the music, likewise the seats were designed (in 1890) to approximate the sound absorption / reflection of a human body, so that empty seats would not change the timber of the music. Additionally the floor of the stage slopes slightly up towards the rear and there are paneled wood walls splaying out to the audience. BTW I am in no way a musician and don't play an instrument or sing.
EDS wrote:

This is absolutely the case. There are stages such that you cannot hear yourself sing and the only way to accomplish that is to wear earphones so that you can approximate (but with earphones, depending on the size of the hall there can be a delay such that someone in the audience is not hearing what you want them to hear)

acoustics from a millenium ago, and that methodology was not new.

Most good acoustics engineers with whom you work will give you guideline on design for what you want to achieve in projection and privacy. Good acoustics is not only what you can achieve through shaping sound in a space where only designated people utter sound. It is also how you accommodate sound that is necessary but you do not want to be prominent, with spatial considerations taking precedence over mitigation.

SHouldn't design work hand-in-hand with engineering, tho', esp. regarding teh most critical elements of a structure (such as, fro a concert hall, the acoustics)...? I'ts not that I don't understand the idea of Artistic Vision, but I suppose I view it from the perspective of my background in the biological and health sceinces, namely: "A successful organism is one that is well-adapted to its surroundsings" - although I also would (and do! ;) ) add that beauty is similar. It seems unrealted at frst, but not so, in that at least *part* of beauty, for organisms and also for human-created structures, includes similar principles of successful interaction with the surroundings, IOW, how well the organism/structure fits its purpose. Compare "falcon" and "loon" - each has to be considered in tandem with its surroundings and purpose, the falcon being adapted to (and successful at interacting with) air and its prey (pidgeons for the most part), and the loon, water and its respective prey (fish).
So, fora building, it seems to me that, using your concert hall as an analogy that can be generalized, a building that fails in its purpose might be "interesting", but the beauty it otherwise might have would be seriously flawed because of that failure.

Makes perfect sense.

OK, that's what I'd guessed, but wasn't sure.

I don't knwo the math, but intuirively, that doesn't seem to me to be obvious - IOW, given the way that water-waves work, and teh sense that the hanging panels would have their own vibrational frequency that would interefere with bouncing non-compatible frequencies, the idea of using hanging stuff to force sound waves to do this or that doesn't seme to me to be perdictable. It seems like a goofy idea to spend millions of $$ on a building using that principle, without first rigorously testing the principle.

I'll have to see whether I can find related info on google, it seems interesting.

That is an interesting and, as I read it, vital point - a concert hall is, indeed, an instrument. I like that observation a lot, I never tought of it that way before. Great observation and elegant conceptual point :)

Interesting!
Not necessary - one does not have to be able to do something, in order to appreciate someone else's ability/performance of it or, for that matter, to understand the technical aspects, and how those interact with the artistic aspects :)

Paris that taught me why Gregorian Chat was invented. It practically wound it's way around the columns and drifted upward with the incense. St. Paul's in London (domed) has an amplifying system for the priest that delays the sound to the rear of the church to match the actual time it takes for the spoken voice to reach the rear, thereby avoiding the echoing. It does work. I would imagine that St. Peters in Rome might have a similar system. EDS