Standard width washing / dryer machine

Hi

I'm currently drawing a plan for my basement. I would like to know the standard width to put a washing machine and a dryer machine next to each other. Will 56 inches wide be enough?

Thank you!

Reply to
Rene F.

"Rene F." wrote in news:2a476a4b-6449-4e80-a6fa- snipped-for-privacy@v7g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

45 inches is enough in our place :-) Watch out for the vertical position of the washing machine taps if they will be above a top-loader - 45 inches from floor should be enough ...
Reply to
Martin Clark

Leave room for door jambs & doors themselves. I have an enclosure that is wide enough from jamb to jamb, but not with the door in place. I would go on line and check the width and depth of your preferred equipment. TB

Reply to
tbasc

On 13 Jan 2010, Rene F. wrote

This may be as completely irrelevant as a completely irrelevant thing, but here in the UK, machines are pretty well standardised at

600mm wide -- just over 23.5 inches.

If your machine standards are similar -- I have no idea if they are

-- that means 1.2 metres for the machines (47.24 inches), plus manoeuvering space.

So: 56 inches seems a bit wide to me; my guess is that you'll wind up with 7 or 8 inches too much space.

Reply to
HVS

On 13 Jan 2010, Ken S. Tucker wrote

Interesting; I'd almost forgotten about top-loaders -- they're very rare over here. (The front-loading machines are made to fit underneath standard-height benchtops, although I've seen some stacked where the layout has demanded it.)

Reply to
HVS

Here in the US the standard opening width for a washer & dryer is

5'-4". I lived in a house one time that had a laundry room that was exactly 5' wide, drywall to drywall, and it had a door on each end. The washer fit OK but to get the dryer in I had to lift it higher than the washer and then slide back around the door casing. We left them there when we sold the place. Yes, it was a cheap assed builders spec.
Reply to
creative1986