SOme good house style web sites?

Hi.

I am planning to build a house (actually, not me, but professional company), but I have to have at least some idea how will it look like. Now, I don't want to build some ordinary looking one (ordinary where I'm living), and find out later that my neighbour built some cool entrance with some let's say mediteranean or spanish style, and I blaiming myself for not being a bit more original like him.

So, can you recommend some web sites that have huge picture galleries of houses of various styles, so I can pick some ideas from there? Web is such a vaste place that I dunno where to start. Google doesn't seem a way to go.

Regards, Vjeran

Reply to
Vjeran Marcinko

BTW, I am planning to have small, ground level, cosy house. So, I'm not interested in big villas or something like that.

Regards, Vjeran

Reply to
Vjeran Marcinko

Hire a professional designer (architect or Don). That's your best bet and best use of money.

And, yes, I'm an architect, so I'm a bit biased. But, your question is exactly the kind of question a professional designer would answer for you.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Thanx for advice, but don't you think that I should have at least some kind of vague idea how my house should look like before I go to architect ? For instance, I should see some pictures of spanish houses to know that I like it, and then go to architect/designer and tell him to design some spanish style house, right ?

-Vjeran

Reply to
Vjeran Marcinko

A good architect or designer (bow to Don) will be able to help you design a house that fits your needs and budget. Don't get hung up on "style".

I usually recommend that an owner spend a little time with two or more architects in order to get a feel for what they do. It is important to find a architect/designer you are compatible with.

Ask friends or acquaintances for references and then call and make an appointment for an interview.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Bob Morrison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

Or, if you don't know people who've worked with a designer, these are some things I'd do: (1) use Google to see whether any in your area have websites with online protfolios (2) call some pros and ask whether they have portfolios you can see and whether they'd be willing ot give you addresses of projects (residential) they've completed (3) get a digital camera and take snapshots of places you see that have something you like, and then briang these to a designer (4) cut out or photocopy pictures from magazines that show somethign you like - such as, maybe you like a particular kid of window, even tho' you might not like anything else - save the pic and make a note on it re: what you like

Also, google *is* useful for finding house styles. The mian thing you have to watch out for at home plan sites is that these days, "modern traditional" is very often mislabeled as "contemporary". Although "contemporary" means 'of/belonging to the curent times", in terms of style, it's not the same thing as "modern traditional".

But another thing is, think about anyplace you've visited, and about whether you liked the general atyle of the area. So, maybe you were to Santa Fe and liked the houses there, or maybe you liked Chicago. And so on.

Also, think about what sorts of lifestyle you want and what sort of qualities you like. For example, if you like an outdoor-yet-private lifestyle, you might like house styles that incorporate enclosed patio/courtyard areas.

SO, re: Google, took me about three minutes to get here:

Id you can stand the stupid animation, this site gives descriptions of books you can get:
Remember to check Amazon.com's prices also. And Half-Price books.

Another idea is, browse the Architecture section of your local Barns&Noble and Borders stores. If you're in an area that doen't have large stores, take time and browse Amazon.com, which offers tons of books on various aspcets of Architecture and Archtectural style.

And last but not least, check your local library's Architecture section (usuall located near Arts).

- K.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Yes, and no. Sometimes, after a discussion with the design professional, he might learn that what you say and what you want are two different things (this happens quite frequently). And a design professional usually has a good library of information to pick examples to show you.

I prefer my clients to not have a vague idea of what they think the house should look like...I prefer them to come to me with an open mind. That way their desires, the site and local context can inform what the house should look like.

Of course taking pictures of stuff you like to them is very helpful.

One other point... design and style are two different things. They are related...for instance, if you wish to have a colonial style house, there are usually formal planning, massing and other details that make the style work. If you have a particular style in mind, then let the designer know what that style is and bring at least one representative picture of that particular style (just because sometimes what you think it's called and what you show the designer might be two different things).

As for styles of houses, there's a great book called "American House Styles: A Concise Guide" You can get it here:

Good luck.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Why not?

Reply to
gruhn

"gruhn" wrote in news:bav5f.39$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Maybe because the style should be an offshoot of the plan...? I dunno, just guessing. OTOH none of it;'s written in stone - IOW just because you want a courtyard desn't mean you "have to" have a Spanish style place. Maybe that's what he means - house style follows lifestyle. If you like a casual yet provate outdoorsy lifestyle in a warm climate, you're not likely to have the same style place as someone who in up north in the mountains and wants a cozy winter habitat. A Sante Fe style place might not fit in well in Buffalo in terms of look or climate...

Again, tho' just guessing at what the OP meant.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

check out these spanish home links

orange tree