Solar Decathlon in DC

If anyone is near Washington, DC in the next week, it's worth taking the time to visit the Solar Decathlon that's set up on The Mall. 20 universities built solar homes, shipped them to DC and set them up on the Mall, and are getting graded in ten categories. I made a special trip from NY and visited this past Saturday - I highly recommend the visit.
More info at: http://www.solardecathlon.org http://www.solardecathlon.org/2007/daily_photos.html

Yeah, a right bunch of forward looking artichokes and onioneers you guys are...

Some of us have been a bit carried away recently with shopping locally :-)
I'll have a look at the results, stand-out projects. I live in an area where solar radiation is normally between 400 and 600watts/m2 - so - why isn't this being harnessed on a vast scale? The answer is, reticulated power is still relatively cheap and solar power technology relatively expensive. If the cost-recovery period is 7 years or more there is little incentive to adopt solar technology. On the other hand, progress is being made on reducing the grid load from water heating, and a 'Citisolar' project:
http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/iss/Citisolar.asp

We looked into th epossibility of solar panels, but that's it, it's very expensive, for even a small amount of power.
A moral quandary...
I went, I saw, I noticed two dwellings that with an incredible lot of detail work and a lot of reworking that I might be willing to dwell in for a vacation home for short periods of time....
The entrants were so serious that the majority of them used Subzeros for their fridges. When you are paying for a rendundant motor to run yur appliance....and it is no better insulated than a lot of cheaper appliances.....on the other hand, I was hoping to see better new technology.....sad
Kris Krieger wrote:

RicodJour wrote:

I heard about it about a year or so ago and viewed online some great pics of previous events, and might have even mentioned it on here before too. Indeed worth a visit.