sharing cultures

hi! i am studying architecture in istanbul technical university...i want to see other countries and architectural culture of other cities.istanbul is a very rich city.it has a very old history and the historical buildings are very interesting.we can have a special contect in internet and send eachothers photos and informations about our cities or countries. note:istanbul is in turkey :)

Reply to
archistanbul

"...we can have a special contact in internet and send each others photos and informations about our cities or countries."

YIKES...

Architecture pen pal dating over usenet? Now I've heard it all. Bloody noobs...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

I would particularly like pictures of my penpal in front of the Guggenheim, preferably naked. ;)

RicodJour

Doesn't that depend on the penpal? For instance, I don't think Don would be an appropriate subject.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Good point. With Don, behind the Guggenheim would be preferable. Frankly, I still thank that's too close!

RicodJour

It's the only FLW in NYC. So I'll take it. You're right in that it isn't a very big building. You walk in, take the elevator to the top and casually walk down the spiral looking at the art. Easy on the feet. 30-45 minutes and you're done. Of course, the Gwathney Seigel addition really turned in into a toilet bowl

These days it looks more like an liquid storage silo since it's being restored

Pierre Levesque, AIA

I was assuming you were talking about FOG's Guggenheim, not FLLW's Guggenheim...

But it really doesn't matter, does it?

Reply to
3D Peruna

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Don't get me started - I visited there and have been a fan ever since. IMO it's something you have to expereince inside *and* out. Pictures don't do it justice. You approach this odd, white concrete building through the sharp noisiness and deep, shadowed canyons and generally darkish streets of NYC, through a not-very-high entryway with glass doors streetside, and inside, and you're suddenly standing in Light, the sounds of other visitors diffused and almost hushed, similar to sounds in a forest, except you're not enclosed in a forest, you're awash in openness and a beautiful light.

My biggest problem with the interior was the stuff on the walls I like some modern art, but a lot of it, I don't - IMO painting a canvas one color and then plopping a dot or stripe onto it isn't art. I would have liked to put a collection in there myself, at least for a day, to see it. The building itself - it was IMO like being a bird riding the thermals, in that it was like gliding up a column of bright yet soft light. I haven't been there for over 20 years, but it's one of those enveloping/full-brain- engaging experiences I've never forgotten.

Same goes for Wingspread. Went there for a State Dep.t conference on terrorism, way back when I was taking courses at U. Wisconsat the time, I in Milwaukee (I got to go because one of my professors got me invited - I was going for my MA in International Relations/National Security, tho' didn't finish because I got a job in the DC area - should have finished instead but hindsight is always genius...) Anyhoo, that was quite an expereince, approaching this greyish building that was low to the grorund, looking almost like a slab or stone, and going through a door via a small, darkish semi-enclosure that even my head barely seemed to clear, and then walking into a truely huge space of rich woods and warm colors, infused with golden light. It took my breath away, all I could do for about a minute was stand there like a spotlighted deer. Beautiful.

After having been inside of it, I can't say much of anything bad about the outside. ;) I kind of like the contrast of it - the white inverted cone among the vertical darker buildings.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

What about Ken?

Reply to