See, they are doing something...

"In addition to the Astrodome solution, the Federal Emergency Management Agency was considering putting people on cruise ships, in tent cities, mobile home parks, and so-called floating dormitories."

They're _considering_.

Reply to
gruhn

How can they be thinking financially at time like this? They need to stick their "equipment" out there and help, whether it's a boat OR a cruise ship.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Don,

Sure, what's a good address to Fedex my stuff to (including this laptop I use to write this note).

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Same reason I thought it. It's the obvious result of your idea.

Reply to
gruhn

Hi Don ; " Look, right now they're throwing huge sandbags at it left and right and its failing because the water is dissolving the dirt all around the bags. "

Exactly , still it do not change the preasure of the water entering, when the opening get smaller ,still. It is just becaurse that reson, that a sunken barge, placed the best place prepared with bottom shape to land exact on the sea bed is ofcaurse best. It can be done emagine that 800 ton barge ,what would move that when it is stranded, the water that would ecape between a line of sunken sandfilled barges will only make trouble by amount of water. There even are technology to situate a factory cutting sheet steel into easy assembled lock pieces, then why compare that beaching a huge barge or barge shaped section of ships hull with dumping 75 K.g sandbags

------- where to compare these two ??? Why shuld the bad luck of sandbags say anything about a compleatly different solution ?

Reply to
per.corell

Houston mayor Bill White did a bit more than consider the problem.

When the Houston Fire Marshall shut down the Astrodome to new evacuees, Bill White opened up the Reliant Center right next door to handle another 11,000 people. With foresight too often lacking in government these days, Bill White also then secured the bigger George R. Brown convention center downtown to handle even more people than that. They're getting it ready right now, and I'll bet they'll be moving people in within 24 hours.

I sincerely hope a logistic lesson is learned from New Orleans. That is simply this: never, ever, order the evacuation of a city until you have put in place the necessary logistics to evacuate the city. The Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin apparently didn't think about how it was going to be done when they ordered the evacuation. Police left. Doctors and EMTs left. Fireman left. Grocers left. Pharmacists left. Everyone who could jumped in the car and left, following orders. The people who couldn't leave needed help to get out, but none was forthcoming because, well, everyone who could have helped had already left.

Simply put, the old saying "proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance" rings ever so true.

Reply to
Adam Weiss

Probably won't learned by anybody higher up than Fire Chief.

Reply to
gruhn