Remodeling vs. Rebuilding

Hi,

I have a case of a client that has a semi-contemporary 1800 sq.ft 4 bedrm. split level, that she recently bought and want to convert it to a McMansion for sale.

She wants to add a formal dining and living rm, great stairs, turn the sun room to a library/office, add a 3 car garage with an office/guest rm above linked with a bridge to the main structure (currently the house had barely a carport), new kitchen, relocate the entrance, etc. Also she wants to add a new floor with 4 more bedrooms.

In synthesis, she wants something about a 3500-4000 sq.ft

Analizing the situation and the financial cost of the construction and the architect services and time to make the remodeling design time, I almost bought into the idea of demolishing the existing house and start all over again.

What do you guys think about it.

I want to hear your opinion.

Reply to
dtrostis

I'm of the opinion that it depends on the house, the lot and applicable zoning laws (sometimes if you tear it down they'll make you conform to the new zoning code) and the desired end result.

If the client's intending to flip the property, fast and cheap is the way to go, which would tend to point to either remodeling or rebuilding...depending on the house, lot and desired end result. ;)

RicodJour

First, find out what zoning allows. Then you'll have the possible options. If zoning allows tear-down & rebuild, then go that route (it'll be cheaper in the long run). If not, then you'll need to be creative and spend more time/money up front and it will cost much more in time/money to complete the project.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Notwithstanding the good points made about flipping houses, in my experience, when it comes down to a pure dollars and cents perspective, remodeling has always been cheaper. I've been involved in several projects that began by doing the reno/demo study, and it always came up cheaper to leave the original in place. It has value, and you don't have to pay tipping fees to get rid of it.

There are, however, other "costs" to doing things this way, like less than ideal arrangements, dimensions etc, things being totally out of plumb and square, and all kinds of formal and technical challenges in trying to marry the new and the old.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich