Recycled Houses

Page 1 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NZ&hl=en-GB&v
©JkPk0CIo4&feature=related
What are _you_ doing for the environment? :)
Add pictures here
✖

My part, 100%.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

There's someone on here, apparently with good drafting skills and house-building knowledge, who nevertheless seems to specialize in these sizes/styles: "For More of Our 9,000-sq.-ft. house plans, Click Here. For One of Our 4,000-sq.-ft. house plans, Click Here."
-
http://www.linsenbach.com/picts/Lg01.jpg
"All else being equal, a house with more surface area will consume more energy for heating and cooling. Thus, a larger house -- or one that has more complex geometry -- will consume more energy.
A house's smaller square footage does not always mean a comparable reduction in surface area. If one reduces the total size of a house but breaks it into smaller, separate wings and more complex geometry, for example, as is sometimes done in custom houses, one may not gain much in the way of energy savings compared to the large box. Along with the greater surface area increasing heat loss and unwanted heat gain, larger houses also generally require longer runs for ducting and hot water pipes. Losses in conveyance of warm air, chilled air, and hot water can be significant.
Quantity vs. Quality
With single-family houses, the notion that bigger is better has been a leading driver of the real estate industry. Large houses are a status symbol. Even retirement homes built for 'empty-nesters' (couples whose children have left home) are usually a step up in terms of size. Virtually all segments of the American home-buying market are [at least at the time of that writing] buying the largest houses they can afford.
Designer-builder John Abrams of the South Mountain Company in West Tisbury, Mass., describes three factors that are driving the popularity of large houses: 'First, with less of a sense of community and public life in our culture, the home becomes a fortress which needs to contain everything we need, including multiple forms of entertainment, rather than basic shelter; second, the building industry has been selling 'big is better' and the message has been heard; and third, diminishing craft and design generosity has resulted in sterile homes -- people mistakenly think that what's missing is grandeur: more space.' "
"Mortgage bankers can also in effect specify minimum house size for new houses by mandating ratios of house value to land value. Secondary mortgage markets often have a rule of thumb that the lot should not be worth more than 30% of the total value of the real estate. Thus, on an expensive lot, homeowners are required to build expensive, and therefore often large, houses. Appraisals (which assess the value of the a house for financial or taxation purposes) for small houses also run into difficulty when all the houses in a particular area are very large and the appraiser cannot find small comparable houses. This issue does not apply at the high end of the real estate market, where land values commonly exceed house values."
Rest of article: - http://www.greenerbuildings.com/feature/2005/07/13/ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Suppose its neither, or both, or even *irrelevent*?
I've spent the past year workshopping alternative means of housing. In fact, I don't even like the word house anymore, preferring shelter, as the word is expansive and can mean lots of things. It starts by studying how a given building will be used, how much space is required for that use, and flexibility. Why have 10,000 sf if you are only using it for sleeping, and are away from it for much of the day? Why heat/cool 10,000 sf if you are only using 100sf? Costs are always part of the overall picture but feasibility must take the helm. A house, er, shelter is an assembly of materials arranged to satisfy the needs of a conglomeration of lifestyle choices. If you erase the preconceived notions of the word house and focus rather on the individual lifestyle choices you might more easily discover exactly what YOUR shelter should look like and function as. For example, no one cooks 24/7 so why maintain a kitchen 24/7? Same with bedrooms and just about all the other aspects of a conventional *home*. Consider for a moment the idea of pods, connected by climate controlled corridors, the corridors do not have to be horizontal. I leave our bedroom at 6am and don't return until 11pm so why maintain a 70 degree temp in there all the time when its not necessary? As it is currently I don't have control of this. But in a pod arrangement I could. Just a small point to roll around. This is just one of the many facets I have been considering regarding shelter as of late. I believe in the not too distant future these considerations will become more paramount.
Add pictures here
✖
I try to incorporate as much recycled materials as I can into a project, sometimes the client wants other products but I do manage to get some in.
--
Anthony Ippolito
Providing Architectural Drafting & Design

What are the names of the recycled products you specify in a project?
Add pictures here
✖

His old vellum and title blocks from 1980... ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

I recall seeing some kind of older computer-controlled drawing machine for sale online. Apparently, you do your drawings in CAD and then export them to this machine that holds and moves the real pens and/or pencils.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 11, 3:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

That was called a pen plotter. I used one way back in 1980 and it had small felt tip markers for pens. It was small, used 8.5x11 paper and resembled an etch-a-sketch with the case removed and it was very problematic, but cool to watch, at the time.
Add pictures here
✖
Do you actually know what a pen plotter is?

That was called a pen plotter. I used one way back in 1980 and it had small felt tip markers for pens. It was small, used 8.5x11 paper and resembled an etch-a-sketch with the case removed and it was very problematic, but cool to watch, at the time.
Add pictures here
✖

Anthony Ippolito murder 1/23/07 Irmo, SC January 24, 2007 — mylifeofcrime
anthony-ippolito.jpg Anthony Ippolito
http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2007/01/24/anthony-ippolito-murder-12307-irmo-sc /
Add pictures here
✖

How can he be posting here and be dead at the same time?
Add pictures here
✖
I will prepare a list for you. Do you actually believe that you are the only one who can design something with recycled materials. I have been in the construction industry for over 47 years and have actually constructed buildings what is your claim to fame? If you wish a list I shall provide one, but I feel that you know there are many types of materials that can be substituted with recycled material.
You don't rattle my chain, go play with some little student if you wish. I do Architectural drafting and design because that is what I do. I do not claim to have AIA after my name, some of you so called registered architects don't even know how to construct a dog house, that's why I get to do the work.
I don't want to hurt feelings as I know that you Pierre levesque are genuine. Don't be so quick to judge.
--
Anthony M. Ippolito
Providing Architectural Drafting & Design
✖
You don't understand what a winkie is do you? ;-) as in "nudge nudge wink wink"... as in a joke? as in we've all done that? As in "old vellum and title blocks from 1980... ;-)" applies to all of us? that must have gone VOOM... right over your head.
Don't get so personal that you feel the need to post people's names. I know we've been pulling your chain for years and that you've been a "drafter" for even longer. One thing's for sure, you seem to have left your sense of humor under your drafting table and/or pen plotter.
The simple fact is that you have done hand drafting, blue printing, ACAD since 1.0, pen plotters, DOS, dot matrix, inkjets and now laserjet printers right? As we have all? So what are you being so defensive about?
No need to post a list of projects you've done, a website or a picture will speak a thousand words. Surely yu've used a brownie camera to take pictures of the projects haven't you? Surely, you've scanned some of those pictures and posted them to your website haven't you?
The second simple fact is that the only thing you've ever posted ANYWHERE online since we've known you (around 1997 for me) is the same old thing. Spam about your drafting services. No discussions or dialogues about design, no dialogues or discussions about construction detailing, no discussions or dialogues about buildings, no participation in heated discussions about off-topic "god knows what" (to your credit).
So just leave it alone, keep on doing what you do and think about the repercussions of what happens when you post someone's name in blogs or usenet messages etc Google your name and see what comes up, it's not pretty...
Anyways, continued good luck and by the way, I agree with you, many many architects don't know how to construct a dog house let alone design one ;-) ( <=== that's a winkie! LOL)

Add pictures here
✖
Thank you, I have been semi retired and decided to come back.

Add pictures here
✖
Anthony Ippolito wrote:

Welcome back, Anthony. Being in the industry for 47 years is quite a respectable length of time.
Add pictures here
✖

Semi retired means "can't find any work", done scammed everybody in the area, one inch from being castrated and dragged............
Add pictures here
✖
no I think it means don't care, don't want to do it any more but not sure and may want to do it again.
Ha! What a way to go, especially now. I am working some project. I do give 300% when I am on a project.
--
Anthony Ippolito
Providing Architectural Drafting & Design
✖
Anthony Ippolito wrote:

Anthony, we all know that you can only give a maximum of 100%... and even then, we probably need to reserve some of that for other resources... such as waste disposal. ;D
"Say, where did Mr. 300% go?" ;)
Add pictures here
✖
Mr. Warm Worm! and your contributions are??? Don't judge those whom you know nothing about.

Add pictures here
✖